Books and Authors, how is the (updated) opening of my novel?

I've posted this before, and many of you gave really insightful answers, so thank you for that (for clarification, this https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20181116001459AAVRFcF is the one). I went back and edited it some more, and I was wondering if this is any better. Thank you for all of your... show more I've posted this before, and many of you gave really insightful answers, so thank you for that (for clarification, this https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20181116001459AAVRFcF is the one). I went back and edited it some more, and I was wondering if this is any better. Thank you for all of your feedback!

“They’ve come back?” Dio stroked away the spillage of gruel dribbling down his already greying beard. “Who are they going to conscript now? The elderly? Or even better yet, the women!”
“The children,” his wife replied, her speech soft and discreet, peering through the louvers of their darkening window shutters.
The remark produced a great guffaw from the man, disgorging his mouthful upon the table before him and back upon his beard, and which continued despite his wife’s sharp and irate insistence for silence. “An army of lions they’ll be, no doubt about that!” he quipped thereafter, wiping away the flakes on his mouth with the back of his hand and emptying the ale within his cup in a single draft.
“I’ve heard it. They picked up new conscripts from the next village over, and now they’re here. They took Ida’s son, and he has not yet passed out of his tenth year.”
Dio paused. At length he released a heavy sigh, pushing away the bowl in front of him and falling back into his chair. “And why should we care?” he asked, his speech now soft and monotone, as if subdued by some powerful memory. “Our son is gone. They saw to that.”
Update: “You foolish, stubborn man!” she said sharply, spinning around with clenched fists and a flushed face. “They ended the service exemption for veterans as well. Don’t you understand? Didn’t you serve under Caulidius?” Dio frowned. “His father. Caulidius was just a boy, shy of manhood by only a few years but still... show more “You foolish, stubborn man!” she said sharply, spinning around with clenched fists and a flushed face. “They ended the service exemption for veterans as well. Don’t you understand? Didn’t you serve under Caulidius?”
Dio frowned. “His father. Caulidius was just a boy, shy of manhood by only a few years but still under the instruction of his tutor. Anyway, it’s of no consequence. I was only in charge of a gen. Hardly at the top of the officer corps.”
Update 2: “It doesn’t matter,” she said firmly, “you are one of the few remaining veterans in this countryside who is still living. They’ve robbed every family in our village of their progeny and now they come back to take away those who have already fulfilled their duty.”
Update 3: Dio bolted upright from his chair, sending it to the ground with a crashing thud. “Insolent woman! Robbed? Robbed? I ought to have you beaten! Speak of my service as you wish, but do not again speak as if you know the trials our son endured! He–!” Dios’ bellowing lecture was cut short by a shrill and discordant... show more Dio bolted upright from his chair, sending it to the ground with a crashing thud. “Insolent woman! Robbed? Robbed? I ought to have you beaten! Speak of my service as you wish, but do not again speak as if you know the trials our son endured! He–!” Dios’ bellowing lecture was cut short by a shrill and discordant sound calling from the front of their house.
“Its them,” she whispered, taking a last glance before fleeing the kitchen.