I am trying to make my cpu quieter. it's making a humming sound. Can I put 2- 6mm foam in it or is that not good.?

The CPU fan will need to be checked that it has been mounted properly as well as the rest of the system. Does this hum happen at specific times or all the time?

By adding foam to the system, you will be adding a static storage substance which will collect static and then eventually discharge somewhere. What you can do to stop the hum if it is a fan is to get rubber washers or rubber teardrops that can be mounted on top of the fan. They will absorb the vibration to a certain extent.

Just first check that there is nothing loose inside the case then look at the rubber washers/teardrops.

Cooler Master normally has these washers and vibration pads with their cases.

• IvaB

CPU's don't hum.As already pointed out,its probably a fan.I strongly advise NOT to add any type of foam inside the case.

• Fulano

The cooler is what keeps your CPU from burning up. Putting foam on it would block air flow and just make the fan louder.

It probably just needs dust cleaned out, or as others said, it might have a fan going bad, causing it to vibrate and not cool as much as it should.

A computer store could check it over for you.

Your CPU is failing.

Find out which fan is noisy by stopping it momentarily. Then replace it with a 'quiet' fan. If it is the small cpu fan you will have to use thermal paste. Online tutorials will show you how.

It is the fan. It might have dust in it, so it works harder to keep cool. Use a vacuum cleaner gently.

If it has always been like that, buy a Mac instead. Mine is silent.

NOT good!! only the heat sink/fan should be near the cpu

Yes I definitely know what you're talkin about there are computers that weren't put together tightly. And the whole darn thing resonates. The only way to quiet it down is to find out which of the parts is making the noise sometimes it's the plastic fan that has a bad bearing. In which case you replace the plastic fan. Sometimes it's the hard drive you can really hear it make noise. I found that you can quiet it down with silicone liquid rubber find the places where the vibration points are and squirt a little bit of silicone rubber between the case and the vibration point. Leave the case open until the vinegar smell has dissipated and it should quiet it right down.

• Mog

Don’t put foam in it. It will overheat.

Think it is the fan noise not the actual cpu, you can buy a quieter cpu cooler fan.