I bought a new motherboard, cpu, and ram for my computer. Will I need to rebuy windows 10 even though I have the same hardrive?

If you have the activation key for Windows 10, use the telephonic activation and follow the prompts. If the activation does not go through via the automated system, select the option to speak to an agent and explain that you replaced the mainboard and that the license is only used on one computer. They should provide you with the key without any problems.

If you got the win 10 license number it will be easier. You should not need to rebuy Win 10 - unless someone uses your old hardware online.

Depends upon the original Windows 10 purchase option. Did you buy a full retail copy (either in box or downloaded)? Or did it come installed in a computer that you bought?

If the full retail copy, you have the right to transfer it to a different computer (a new motherboard but same box and HDD in your situation). Contact Microsnot, as Dave suggest, for activation.

If the Windows came installed in a computer, it is forever tied to the motherboard of that computer. Only an identical motherboard model will work with that manufacturer's copy of Windows. You will have to buy a new retail copy of Windows.

Source(s): Long ago I learned about Microsh*t. I bought a computer with DOS from largest electronics company on planet. They upgraded me for free to Win95. Then that company dumped all personal computer business. I bought a retail upgrade box for Win98SE. Would not install. Microsnot said to contact the computer maker/seller. I was out of luck.
    • Dave

LOL, you're an idiot Shadow.

you're welcome to try that on MicroSoft. Just be prepared for their refusal. Looks to them like you have a new computer [hard drives being a non-critical part while cpu, ram, and motherboard are critical]

You won't need to install Windows again, unless there is a problem. You will need to reactivate,

windows is prepared for this eventuality.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/win...

• Dave

Being an ice cream machine tech does not make you a PC tech. You DO NOT use an existing installation of ANY windows OS and plug it into a new motherboard. Ever. Unless, like I said, you're a complete moron. Which you appear to be.

• Dave

You are going to have to reinstall windows from scratch. Once done, re-activate it using the instructions below:

Likely. You essentially have a "new" computer in the same old box (at least that is likely the way Microsoft will interpret it).

P.S. - I don't think that's fair but I do think that's how Microsoft will react (they aren't very fair in my opinion).