Ippo asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 6 months ago

crewman vs crew. Are these interchangeable?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No, they are not interchangeable. 'Crewman' is a singular noun. 'Crew' is a plural noun. You should use 'crewman' when you speak/write of one member of a crew. You should use 'crew' when you speak/write of the entire crew.

• John P
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

In Britain most people would use "crew member", not "crewman" or "crewwoman". Indeed "crew" refers to all the people in the crew, but a few people do use "crew" as an individual person. I suggest that you should not do so.

• 6 months ago

No. Crewman is single. Crew is short for crewmen (plural/many) where you would write that an individual is part of a crew (group of many).

• SBR32277
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

@dogtags40, while that is good to know, I never made reference to which came first and you basically said what I said, that Crew is plural (personnel on a vessel). While I understand it is PC to use crew member, crewman is still in use, even for women, especially by us old timers.

• 6 months ago

No.

And the same with 'staff'. A school has a staff made up of teachers. Each teacher is a member of the staff but NOT 'a staff', as we often see in non-standard English.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Yes we would certainly say that he has a staff of twelve, but we wouldn't use 'a staff' to mean one person, which is what we often read in, for example, Indian management texts. 'I spoke to a staff' - no, 'I spoke to a member of staff' or if you spoke to everyone, 'I spoke to the staff'.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Singular vs plural.

No.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

They aren't. The second represents plurality, the first singularity.

• dogtags40
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Actually, not necessarily. The 'crew' refers to ALL members of the crew, EVEN IF THERE IS ONLY ONE. Some small passenger airplanes have a one-person crew.

• 6 months ago

No. A "crewman" is one member of "the crew."

• Joe
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

Not to their girlfriends.

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No...crewman is single, crewmen is plural. Also the crew could have women in it..

• Zhin
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes .

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.