Train stop from Queens to NY/NJ border?

I m travelling from Central PA to pick up my sister who does not have a car and lives in Queens NY. Is there a meeting spot she can get to on train from queens somewhere closer to NY / Jersey border that would allow me to avoid the city driving and hop off the highway, pick her up and right back on to the highway?

I would advise taking a Transbridge bus to Bethlehem or Allentown or some other city in eastern Pa and meet her there. It is a good bus service, and maybe an hour and a half to arrival time in Pa.

If she takes a NJ Transit train on the Northeast Corridor (Penn Station to Trenton) there are stations in Edison, New Brunswick or Trenton that can avoid the heavier NYC traffic. The Secaucus stop is right outside NYC and accessible from the NJ Turnpike.

PS: Please do NOT use PATH or Newark Penn. Sorry, but this is a horrible suggestion. PATH is slow as molasses and Newark is crowded and congested. Any other stop on the NE Corridor is better than Newark

• Lv 5

You're welcome. Good luck. The bus station near the Lehigh Airport is best, not So. Bethlehem. In fact, the bus en route from NYC sometimes skips So, Bethlehem station anyway.

The Northeast corridor (Philadelphia, Trenton, Princeton Junction, Metropark, Newark, etc.) has trains from Boston to DC that go through Queens, but I'm not sure if they stop there.

Manhattan has many trains to Queens, mostly the NYC Subway, but also the LIRR, however, you'd still be driving in the city, and most of the trains from Queens to Manhattan don't stop near any highways.

The best option is probably to have her take one train (probably NYC subway, possibly LIRR) from Queens to Manhattan, and then another train (probably PATH or NJ Transit, possibly Amtrak) from Manhattan to NJ.

• Lv 5

Amtrak is too expensive and often bypasses these stops; NJ Transit NE Corridor to one of the NJ stops is best, just not Newark Penn: PATH is way too slow!

She can take the PATH all the way to Newark NJ Path Station

Or you can meet her at Secaucus Junction (the first stop of PATH after NYC).

• Lv 5

The reason I advise against PATH is a personal experience. I was supposed to meet my gf at Baruch midtown. So I thought PATH was a good shortcut. I ended up sitting on a stalled train for a half hour. I should have stayed on the train to Penn then took the Subway.

• Sharon

take whatever subway hits her part of Queens to connect to the PATH train at either W 33 Street or the WTC, take to Newark's Penn Station. Pick her up there.

• Lv 5

Avoid Newark. There are much better pickup locations than Newark Penn.

• DON W

Sure. Tell her to take the subway to Penn Station in Manhattan, and then get on the New Jersey Transit train to the Metropark station, where you'll meet her. Metropark is in Iselin, NJ, right off the Garden State Parkway, Exit 131.