Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 1 year ago

Summer camp!?

My son is going to summer camp next week, I have a meeting tomorrow to discuss him, due to his adhd, and other diagnosis’s. Should I bring the IEP (individualized Education plan) for them to see? Just a guess?

Yes you should bring those, definitely.

No. Leave it at home. So when they ask to see it you can look like a fool.

I think that’s a good idea

• J-Dawn

So I'm currently a special education teacher and I have been on staff (including administrative staff) for camps a total of 16 years out of the last 19. Bringing the IEP won't really do any good as it's only legally binding in the educational setting and camp is nothing like the educational setting. Your best bet is to let the director AND the counselor know that your child has a disability and give them any information that will be relevant to that particular setting--behavior during structured and unstructured times, fears, any sensory processing issues, struggles with making/keeping friends, special interests, the amount of supervision needed at any given time, how they react to stressful situations, help needed for personal hygiene, etc. The camp won't care what your child's IQ is or what their academic or speech goals are as it won't be relevant.

Why not? Much better to take it home unused than to be asked for it and have to say, 'Oh I didn't bring it'.

Yes, definitely bring it. I'm a teacher and those are invaluable, any good educator should ask to see it and discuss it with you.

sure........................

• It doesn't hurt to try.