I had a low GPA in high school freshman and sophomore year, can I still get into a good university?

I've been in online school all 4 years of high school. I initially started online school because I was a full-time model traveling all over the world. With that being said, I let my grades suffer. In freshman and sophomore year I have a 2.6 GPA.

I stopped modeling due to mental health reasons even though I gained a lot of amazing experiences. I got my self together as far as school goes and received a 4.0 GPA in my junior year while working a normal desk job and volunteering at the VA hospital. I scored a 28 on my ACT and I am going to be entering senior year. My total GPA is now roughly a 3.4 overall because of how poorly I did in my freshman and sophomore year. I really want to get into a good university and go to medical school.

Will I still be able to get into a good college? I have a lot of experiences to write about that make me unique but with how poor my grades were I am worried that no matter how hard I worked Junior year and how hard I will work in senior year won't matter. Do you guys know of my chances and suggestions for how I can improve my chances?

I'd make two suggestions to increase your chances of getting into a "better" university:

1. Study this summer and retake the ACT in September. See if you can get a 30+.

2. Work really hard and get the best grades of. your life senior year.

With a 3.4 cumulative GPA and a 28 ACT, you can get into hundreds of universities (both public and private). You will not make the cut for the top schools. Showing you are continuing to improve your academic performance and that you are scoring with the top 15% of students on the ACT will help.

Start using websites like Niche to enter your GPA, score, and any criteria you have in terms of the type of school you want to attend (size, location, majors, housing options, costs, etc.). You can put together a list of schools were you are likely to get in with your current grades/score and once that will be a stretch. Niche will show you the GPA and ACT or accepted and rejected students so you can see where you sit.

You're not getting into premed with such a low GPA and low ACT score. If you did online high school, chances are you lack extensive lab work in science classes (biology, chemistry, and physics) & lack really serious levels of lab skills (CRUCIAL for premeds!). You should have straight-A grades in all your sciences (especially honors or AP levels) and math through calculus.

Can you pull this out in your senior year when you have to apply for admission to university premed programs early in the school year? Premed admissions are extremely competitive (& it gets far tougher for med school, residency, etc.). Very tough go at that, and only you can determine how smart you really are & how incredibly hard you are willing to work to turn this around. You're up against a wall, and only you can climb over it.

You're lucky if any state school would accept you.

If you step up your game and get some decent grades then you do have a chance I believe