Just bought a 2003 Yammy FZ6 and just wondering how long rear tyres last, anyone know.?

thanks.

• Fred

I'm riding a higher powered and heavier sport bike, depending on how radical you ride, and what tire it takes to ride that way … as little as or less than 1,200 miles!

not very long count on appox. 3000 miles more or less

• don r

You can wear it out completely doing donuts for a few minutes. Look up the info from the manufacturer of the tire for it's life expectancy.

Too many factors for a good answer.

One: How do you Ride? Aggressive? Then; 5-7k.

Two: How are your Roads? Ours have too much glass in them, potholes I have to fix; a Scandal. Then; 7K if Kendas.

Three: Using Michelin Commanders or Kendas? MC say "24K" but I'll see. I barely got 7k out of a Kenda on a 440# CB650 I did Not ride "aggressively". Grippy sport types are softer rubber and never last as long. These have sparse, shallow tread. Long lasting tourers have harder rubber and a lotta deep tread.

My 30 year old Dunlops lasted from 1983 until 2012, 17k. Still had good tread, just lots of cracks from heat/age. .

Source(s): haven't fixed our roads since 2004; I finally filled a pot hole just outside my residence w/ 50# of mortar I Found a couple weeks ago.
  • Tim D

My FZS600 gives around 5000

• JetDoc

It's been my experience that rear tires last somewhere between 5000 and 8000 miles, depending on the kind of riding you do. Front tires seem to wear about twice as long.

Around four thousand miles (rear) nine thousand miles front.

Metzlers provide brilliant grip but wear out quicker.

I've found Battleaxe sports touring tyres are a good compromise and have them fitted to my FZ1 and VFR750.

Depends entirely upon the tyre and your riding style.

If you have really grippy tyres with sticky rubber then they wear out much faster than those which are harder but offer less grip.

Any tyre wears out super fast if you regularly allow wheelspin or if you often lock the wheels up when braking to cause a skid.

I haven’t ridden for years but at the time I favoured Avon tyres on my BMW K100 and despite riding fairly conservatively rarely got more than 8000 miles from any tyre. Usually I replaced them before that because they had reached their safe limit for puncture repairs, or that a puncture was too close to the sidewall, or that a new puncture was too close to a previously repaired one. Ride hard and you could get far less than 4000 miles from a rear tyre.

Bear in mind that even if the tyres on your Yamaha look great, they may be past due for replacement. Check the date code on the sidewall. Don’t risk your neck if the tyres are over six years old.

• Ron

As long as they do

Depends on the tire. Some are softer for better traction and some are harder for longer mileage.

On my Triumph Tiger(a big dual-sport) I run Anakee 111 which does both fairly well and they last for around 8-9 thousand miles.

Source(s): Riding/racing for 55+ yrs.