Atheists Only please. Are you all, by default, Empiricist in your philosophy, since you demand physical/scientific evidence of God?

And reject the records of other humans' experiences? Empiricism would also seem to dismiss emotions such as 'love' or 'anger' or 'tranquility', since they don't leave direct evidence of their existence.

Discuss, please? Please be respectful.

Empiricism article can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empiricism

Update:

1. There seems to be some confusion about my allusion to emotions. I do not mean that emotions should be used as evidence,or that 'feelings' should be accepted as evidence. I don't believe that feelings determine reality. HOWEVER, feelings don't have any physical matrix. In fact, they can easily be manipulated by drugs, chemicals, blood sugar, and the like. Feelings don't physically 'exist'. They only exist in the mind. Does that mean that feelings are unreal?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • Caesar
    Lv 7
    1 year ago
    Favourite answer

Not really, but Empiricist think that empirical evidence can't prove "everything". But it can prove everything that matters, under the definitions empiricists use. The definition derives from the notion that if it can't be detected empirically then it doesn't matter: it cannot physically affect you. And conversely, if it does affect you (even in some highly abstract sense) then by definition that's something we can measure empirically.

• 1 year ago

"Are you all, by default, Empiricist in your philosophy, since you demand physical/scientific evidence of God?"

I very much doubt it. I am aware of no empirical evidence that all atheists are Empiricist in their philosophy. I am not even aware of any that we all demand physical/scientific evidence of God.

"Empiricism would also seem to dismiss emotions such as 'love' or 'anger' or 'tranquility', since they don't leave direct evidence of their existence."

How direct do you expect the evidence to be? We can detect physiological changes correlating with people's experience of such emotions, but it is always going to be difficult to prove things that only exist in people's minds. Perhaps that is why we cannot detect God.

• 1 year ago

One can make up all kinds of crapola about atheist. But at the end of the day, atheists are just people who refuse to be puppets to something that can't be proven to be true, but only imagined to be true. Now you can come up with some more fancy talking crapola about why atheists are, well, atheists!

• 1 year ago

Atheists,

who have not yet considered the possible reality

of hypothetical deities,

may not be empiricists.

--

Regards,

John Popelish

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 year ago

since you demand physical/scientific evidence of God?

- We would like something more than hallucinations.

And reject the records of other humans' experiences?

- My Aunt says that Elvis visits her three times a week. Prove her "experience" wrong.

Empiricism would also seem to dismiss emotions such as 'love' or 'anger' or 'tranquility', since they don't leave direct evidence of their existence.

- But they do have direct evidence.

• 1 year ago

Are you saying that the gods are some kind of emotion? Some kind of warm fuzzy? Interesting.

I just dismiss fantastical beings from the realm of reality. Delusions are just that, delusions.

If we should accept "feelings" as worthy evidence, well I feel that gods are made up.

Put whichever label you want.

• 1 year ago

You speak of God as though there is only one. There are thousands of gods that are worshipped around the world and thousands more that are now extinct. You probably mean the Christian God. Only 2.2 billion out of 7.6 billion people on this planet believe in the Christian God. The other 5.4 billion are mostly not atheists but believe in other gods. Are you saying that those 5.4 billion people are all sociopaths or psychopaths, incapable of emotions because they don't believe in your God? They could argue, using your own arguments, that you are incapable of emotions because you don't believe in their gods.

You reject all those other gods in favour of yours. Worshippers of those gods reject yours in favour of theirs. Their reasons for rejecting your God are the same as your reasons for rejecting theirs. Atheists reject all of them for the same reasons.

You probably don't believe in pixies, elves and fairies. Why not? There is exactly the same testable evidence for them as there is for gods. Are people incapable of emotion if they don't believe in pixies? No. And they are not incapable of emotion when they don't believe in your god.

• 1 year ago

An atheist is first a materialist. That leads them to exclude all other avenues of knowledge and limit it to empiricism.

• Sorry this is an open forum

they are selective in what they need evidence for. No one who is an Empiricist could say there is no God, with no supporting evidence to substantiate their claim

Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

I am by default telling you that gods do not exist.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.