Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 5 months ago

What's the hype about Harry Potter?

I'm an adult now. I never read it as a child. I don't like fantasy books. Do you think I will like it?

A huge number of people have thoroughly enjoyed the books, including me and my husband, both university graduates and retired professionals. One of my sisters, equally well educated, loves them too; the other, ditto, doesn't

How can it hurt to borrow the first two books from your library and give them a try? I say the first TWO because the very first was written very obviously for 11 year olds, and you MIGHT find it a lilttle childish if you're not familiar with the style and genre.

You just might. You never know until you give it a shot.

• chorle

You likely won't get though that long several chapter setup in the first book. I did like it and read the first few books when my children were growing up reading them.

If you can't admit to likely fantasy Artemis Fowl more likely to be something you would like unless you also don't like the fantasy sub genre of science fiction

• Joe

You don't like fantasy books and you are wondering if you will like a fantasy book..? I wish this question was a fantasy.

I don't like historical fiction but I have read some fantastic books of this genre. Read them, it's a good story.

• SRB101

Why do you bother to ask that here? Anyone here who's a Harry Potter fan will rave about it and everyone else will pan it. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the "classics" and "bestsellers" I've dropped into the donation bin at the library without finishing them. If that's your case, so be it.

But you'll never find out if you don't crack the cover.

• Athena

Why bother if you don't like fantasy books?

Find something you DO like.

• Marli

You won't know for sure unless you borrow it from your local library and start reading it.

It's a fairly classic story, told in a new way. There's no way of predicting if you'll like it, but I do know several adults who don't usually read fantasy but read the series because their kids insisted, and they loved them. You might try checking the first book out of your local library and see what you think.

If you don't like fantasy books, then it's unlikely that you'll like Harry Potter, but if you want to give it a try, then why not borrow the the Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone from the library?

• Murzy

I am an adult, too and wondered the same thing. I downloaded one of the books and loved it.