1987 VIRAGO 535 WILL ONLY RUN ON HALF CHOKE ANY IDEAS?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • fuzzy
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Quite possibly an air leak between the carbies & the engine. Otherwise blocked jets in carbies or incorrect float level. (Blocked air cleaner wont be compensated for by the choke, rather the opposite effect.

• Robert5 months agoReport

what do you mean by opposite effect?

• 5 months ago

Instead of choking your bike, shoot it.

• 5 months ago

Lean mixture. Carbs need to be taken apart and cleaned.

• 5 months ago

Clean your jets/carbs.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Your carburetor is probably gummed up or the air filter is blocked. Time to do some maintenance on your 32-year old motorcycle.

• Robert5 months agoReport

changing the fuel filter tonight and the air filter when it comes in had to order that if that isn't it I guess I will attack the carbs

• 5 months ago

Clogged pilot jets or loose intake.

• 5 months ago

Rebuild carbs and reset idle / mixture adjust screws per shop manual.

• 5 months ago

Running the choke gives you a richer mixture which is easier to ignite. That's why you need choke on a cold engine.

If the bike runs fine otherwise, test for a weak spark. I would change out the plugs and test the leads. Next step is to clean out the idle circuit in the carbie, which will be a pr!ck. Try draining the float bowl a few times to see if you get lucky, or add 250ml/half pint of kerosene in your next tank of gas.

• 5 months ago

Running lean. Have the carbs/injectors cleaned and adjusted.

• Lv 5
      5 months agoReport

No injectors on '87 Honda. Plus, he said: "choke".

• 5 months ago

was running fine then today it starts dying at intersections if I don't have choke on halfway

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.