Power Supply Failure?

I was playing on my VR today and then my PC just randomly shut off and started up again. I checked event viewer, nothing. I checked reliablilty report, again nothing. I thought it may be the power supply so I ran a cpu stress test and a gpu stress test to see if it would turn off again, nothing.

Could it be my power supply or could it just be a random 1 time thing?

PC specs

TUF h310M-Plus Gaming

GTX 1060 6GB

I7 8700

2x8GB Corsair RGB RAM @ 2666

1 SATA SSD

2x HDDs

VS 450 Corsair PSU

Computer is a year old*

in most cases an instant restart would be due to cpu overheat and almost nothing else. You may want to check bios settings and enable cpu throttling/alarm Klaxon at a specific cpu temperature to avoid this in the future. In rarer cases a Ram Dimm might get too hot. *** note if a cpu is actually really hot and the system restarts it would be accompanied by a HIGH REVVING cpu fan during that START for at least 30 - 40 seconds and then gradually slowing to a sensible pace. An under supply of psu current would make a system more unstable but could be a reason for overheating of some system parts. Try using a power supply calculator online, most of the mainboard and psu makers have them, MSI, ASUS, BEQUIET,COOLERMASTER etc.

While the VS450 is a borderline piece of junk, Doubt it's the power supply. Your system was probably drawing 300w at the most when that happened. If anything, the Core i7-8700 could have triggered a TDP limiter, or PWM/VRM/Power limit that lies within your h310 motherboard. Have you ever considered testing your Core i7-8700 with a benchmarking program like Cinebench r20 or r15 to see if it's getting the scores it should be getting.

H310 motherboards generally aren't a good pick in the 1st place because a more robust b360 board is only $10 more which already makes the b360 board a much better value. The other problem with them is the questionable power distribution design that's suited for a Core i5 at the most. You know these $100 SFF refurbished PC's on ebay have such a weak VRM power design that they will hold an i7 back.

Other problems that can cause a PC to shut down are the software. It could be a driver error or a problem with the game software.

The only way you're going to figure it out is to keep testing the system. Try running more taxing stress tests on the CPU to see if the motherboard or CPU cooler is holding it back.

Did it turn on, or not?

• sam5 months agoReport

Yeah, as if I'd hit the reset button. Instant black screen then powered back on.

probably ur VR headset is taking alof of power from the PSU.

u probably need a powered hub to power ur VR headset

https://www.amazon.com/SmartDelux-Powered-USB-Hub-...