Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 6 months ago

Why are High Deductible Health Plans becoming the norm for most employers in the United States?

What has happened to PPO health plans?

Even though PPO health plans are a bit more expensive than High Deductible Health Plans, at least you only have to pay a small copay for doctor's visits ($20 to $30 copay).

With a High Deductible Health Plan, you have to pay the full cost (with some discounts added) with each doctor visit. Once you meet your deductible, then you pay a lot less for each doctor visit. Though, who meets their deductible in a year?!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It's how the Affordable Care Act made healthcare affordable :). High Deductible Health Plans came into existence with the ACA. Sad thing is, if you're healthy you get to pay $100s/per month for insurance that you never benefit from because you never meet the deductible.

• Dale
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Illness should never be the norm. Health should be rewarded.

• 6 months ago

Insurance is supposed to be for serious or major losses. Not for ordinary maintenance, which is what health insurance has become. My HMO allows me for two dental cleanings a year. I use it, but that is not what insurance is for.

• 6 months ago

It's cheaper for the employer. Insurance is a product that companies buy. If they can, they want to shift the costs of the plans onto the employees to help their bottom line.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Jeff S
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Cheapest insurance they can find!

• 6 months ago

It still beats ObamaCare plans where you pay high premiums and have a high deductible. LOL

It's the most expensive catastrophic plan in the universe. I remember catastrophic plans going for $100 a month before ObamaCare. LOL

• 6 months ago

0bamacare tripled and in some cases quadrupled premiums . Employers do not get 0bamacare subsidies and so in order to be able to afford providing insurance for employees it becomes necessary to reduce costs however possible .

Higher deductibles result in lower premiums .

• Stuart
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Medicare for all: It would replace all other insurance, with limited exceptions, such as cosmetic surgery. Employer-provided insurance, Medicaid and ultimately Medicare would all disappear

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Too many low income employers

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.