Theft at the work place?

Part of a family business, I have a wood shop in our office furniture warehouse warehouse. Adjacent to my workshop is the workshop for the office furniture, where the re-finisher does all of his work. A few months ago a large maple butcher block went missing, I found it in the refinisher s shop, cut up into cutting boards. I was pissed and informed him that it was not garbage and was from my house as I was storing it while I was moving. Then a few weeks ago I noticed some nice pieces of Cherry lumber missing, and I found them cut up in his shop. I kindly spoke to him and said "if you want wood, please ask me, don t just take it from me.

Last week I walked into his shop and I saw another piece of cherry cut up, he said he bought it at home depot, (a lie, they don t sell it). Then today I found part of a desk I was making and it was cut from 30" down to 20". He lied again and said he didn t do it and asked why I accuse him...

Then, our admin assistant asked him and he said, " well, I sprayed a table of his and he didn t tip me".. Mind you, this is during regular business work hours, I don t have to tip him. Furthermore, he is always working on little projects for him or his family or whoever, using our materials, sand paper, my saw/tools & finishing chemicals like lacquer and poly.

My father won t fire him, but he can t be trusted. He knows he won t be fired and that s why he continually does this. I am at my wits end.

Is there a solution?

Do you work for your dad or does your dad just let you use a space in his company for your materials?

- If you don't work for your father, than the guy does not have to do your work during standard business hours unless directed by his supervisor.

The guy doesn't respect you. Is this because of the quality of your work, how your parents treat you, just because he remembers you as a little kid?

- this needs to be discussed with your father

If you don't want him taking the wood, lock it up.

I agree the guy lied about the cherry wood, but HD does sell it on special order.

• A Hunch

You can't be "technically" his supervisor if you don't work for the company. Your father can assign you a consulting role to manage his day to day workload. But any true supervisor activities must be done by an employee.

You put up surveillance cameras. And you catch him in the act.

and then you show that footage to your father.

You can even set the guy up.

Get a REAL NICE piece of wood. Tell Your father that it is for a special project you will start in a few months.

Put it somewhere the cameras can see it.

And make certain that you have extra cameras on a separate system- one focused on the camera that is on your wood...and the other that is on the control system for all the other cameras.

You will be surprised at what you find out.

AHEM...no cameras in the bathrooms!

If you won't fire him, then expect him to continue to take what he wants. He's laughing at you. You should have reported the theft to the police first time, over the butcher block, and sued him for the value, and then some. Photos of what he did with "your" property - I don't suppose you took some?

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • DEBS

Take his keys (re-key if needed) and tell him he's only allowed onsite when someone else is there to monitor him.

Because he is getting away with it. He will continue until you put up cameras or call the cops.

Give him all the **** jobs to do.

Who runs the business?

If your father runs the business then speak with him. Perhaps its time to make it clear to this individual that he can and will be fired if he continues to steal valuable materials and misuse company resources.

Perhaps its time to lock your room or change the locks and limit who has keys.

Also, you shouldn't be storing personal items at the business, not even temporarily while you move. Keep your personal things at home and only store business materials at the warehouse. If you need personal storage space then rent a storage locker.

• Jordan5 months agoReport

It was a wood counter top that I planned on refinishing in my shop..

Notify him TODAY that any future theft is going to be reported to police and followed up on. And DO it.

• R

He knows he won't be fired. Why not??????

• DEBS

But he's not 'decent help'. Decent help is kind of the opposite of someone who steals and lies. He may do quality work, but he's not 'decent help.'

• Mark

Yes. Put a lock on your door and use it.