Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 5 months ago

"I expect you criticize me." "I expect you to criticize me." "I expect from you to criticize me." Are these three correct sentences?

• geezer

The middle one is correct ..

''I expect you to criticize me''

but could also say ..

''I expected you to criticize me'

or

''I am expecting you to criticize me''.

• John P

Indeed the middle one is correct. No "from" , and "to" must be there.

Only the second one is correct

You don't use a naked (blind) infinitive with "expect". the expectation is the full infinitive (you need the "to" part). You don't have to use the "to" if you have a noun as the object of expect instead of "you" (or a person), as in "I expect criticism from you", "I expect you to criticize".

You can't say "I expect from you to criticize me" because you lack a direct object of the expectation. You could say "I expect criticism from you" (and then restructure it, somewhat awkwardly, as "I expect, from you, to criticize/complain/pass judgement/cry/scream and holler/whatever"). This only works because the "object" is a generic and undeclared "something" (you will criticize or complain (etc.) and it does not matter about what or who).

They're all correct but the third one is really awesome.

Only the third is definitely wrong.

The first is unusual, but perfectly possible as @ Roger says, in the sense of "I suppose you are criticizing me".

And the second means "I'm pretty sure you're going to criticize me".

Only the second one is correct.

No, they're incomplete without the word "ni**a between each word with apostrophes.

• Dze

the middle one is the most correct ..

Only the middle one is correct.

The middle one is correct.