Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 5 months ago

"I expect you criticize me." "I expect you to criticize me." "I expect from you to criticize me." Are these three correct sentences?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • geezer
    Lv 7
    5 months ago
    Best answer

The middle one is correct ..

''I expect you to criticize me''

but could also say ..

''I expected you to criticize me'

or

''I am expecting you to criticize me''.

• John P
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Indeed the middle one is correct. No "from" , and "to" must be there.

• 5 months ago

Only the second one is correct

• 5 months ago

You don't use a naked (blind) infinitive with "expect". the expectation is the full infinitive (you need the "to" part). You don't have to use the "to" if you have a noun as the object of expect instead of "you" (or a person), as in "I expect criticism from you", "I expect you to criticize".

You can't say "I expect from you to criticize me" because you lack a direct object of the expectation. You could say "I expect criticism from you" (and then restructure it, somewhat awkwardly, as "I expect, from you, to criticize/complain/pass judgement/cry/scream and holler/whatever"). This only works because the "object" is a generic and undeclared "something" (you will criticize or complain (etc.) and it does not matter about what or who).

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

They're all correct but the third one is really awesome.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Only the third is definitely wrong.

The first is unusual, but perfectly possible as @ Roger says, in the sense of "I suppose you are criticizing me".

And the second means "I'm pretty sure you're going to criticize me".

• 5 months ago

Only the second one is correct.

• 5 months ago

No, they're incomplete without the word "ni**a between each word with apostrophes.

• Dze
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

the middle one is the most correct ..

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Only the middle one is correct.

• 5 months ago

The middle one is correct.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.