Toilet not flushing?

When I push on the handle normally there’s some pressure and you have to keep pushing down to get it to flush, you know? Now when I push the handle, there is no pressure. The handle goes all the way down without anything flushing. Any easy solutions? I’m not good with this type of stuff so I probably can’t do anything complicated. I’d like to get it to at least flush once before calling a plumber or friend to look at it because I used it :(

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Eva is close, The chain is too loose, it can't pull the plunger up,This depends on what type it is. Newer ones have a push button on top of the lid.

• 5 months ago

the only way for you to get this fixed is to get a plumber to do it .

• M.
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Take off the tank lid.

Look inside.

Do you see anything?

• Edwena
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

There is a chain that connects on the end of the flush lever and goes down to the flapper valve the the bottom of the tank. It has slipped off/broke. You will have to reconnect the chain and adjust the length so that the flapper flushes correctly. If the chain is too loose the flapper will not raise high enough to allow for a full flush. If the chain is too long, a complete push on the handle will not take up all the slack in the chain to raise the flapper. So, you have to play with adjusting the length to get it right. Now, there are other styles of commode valves that have different adjustments. But the principles are all the same.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

carefully remove the tank lid and set aside. look inside. the handle connects to a lever and there's a chain on the lever that pulls up the flapper valve at the bottom. your bare arm will reach the flapper valve to pull it up and flush.

reconnecting the chain is easy. replacing the handle and lever takes buying the part at HDepot. have fun!

Source(s): grampa
  • hooray
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

You can flush away what's currently in the toilet pan by just pouring in a quantity of water, about as much as a large saucepan or a bucketful. You may need to dab up some splashes. Then you can bring in some help. Flush mechanisms aren't difficult to repair or replace, nor are they expensive, so try a friend first as the plumber's callout would constitute most of the cost.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

i would call a plurnrner anyways, theyre used to that kind of stuff

• WB
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It sounds like the chain came loose from the handle. Take the top off the tank, and look for the chain. It should be attached to the handle or the rubber stopper in the bottom of the tank. If it's loose from the handle, tie it back. If it's off the rubber flapper, the flapper may be tore, and need replacement. To manually operate the composer, just lift up the end of the rubber flapper in the bottom of the tank. It's not that hard to change, just check out some YouTube videos.

• Eva
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

Take the lid off the tank, and make sure the lever is still inserted in the handle. They often work themselves loose. The lever may be lying in the bottom of the tank.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.