Does a dishwasher drain water if it's not turned on?

I moved into an apartment years ago and decided that I'm going to clean the dishwasher. I have not touched the dishwasher since I've been here. A bit later after using baking soda and vinegar like google suggested, I rinsed it down with water by pouring cups of water. Now the water was clogged. I was able to get rid of most of the water by using a towel and squeezing the excess water down the sink drain.

Anyways, I tell my mom that the dishwasher is clogged and she tells me that it only gets "clogged"/doesn't drain water if it's not turned on. So if it's off, water will not go down the drain.

Is this true? And before any of you suggest I just turn on the dishwasher to test out her hypothesis... Neither of us know how to turn it on and we're both pretty sure it's just broken.

No. The water pump has to be running to drain the machine and for the pump to run the machine must be switched on.

no it will not because a water pump pumps the water out

As others have stated, a PUMP is required for the drain, much as with a clothes washer.

Yes, the automatic dishwasher's program (electronic or timer) open the water inlet valve, pumps the water around through all jets, opens the drain valve then pumps the water out. If there weren't valves, water would pour through it all the time, wouldn't it?

If you can't even find the On switch, how have you determined that it's broken? But it may well be shot from not being used - the seals harden without water in the system and occasional use.

• John

When young we had an electric dishwasher in the house but today I am the dishwasher. Today I don't even have a clothes washer in the house and I hand wash my clothes in the kitchen sink.

• Nuff Sed

The good news is that you're easy to keep clean, rarely have a serious clog, and don't need to be switched on to drain properly.

The "drain" from the dishwasher goes up into the garbage disposal or sink drain. Since water doesn't flow uphill without a pump, yeah, she's right. Sorry.

A dishwasher drains when the water is pumped out. If it's switched off, the pump can't work. You can drain it manually by removing the drain hose from the standpipe and putting it in a shallow bowl on the floor.

• Spock (rhp)

draining it manually is near impossible. the usual route for the drain hose is UP from below the machine, through the wall, and to the garbage disposer, which is a good 50 cm higher [20 inches for you Yanks]