Does a dishwasher drain water if it's not turned on?

I moved into an apartment years ago and decided that I'm going to clean the dishwasher. I have not touched the dishwasher since I've been here. A bit later after using baking soda and vinegar like google suggested, I rinsed it down with water by pouring cups of water. Now the water was clogged. I was able... show more I moved into an apartment years ago and decided that I'm going to clean the dishwasher. I have not touched the dishwasher since I've been here. A bit later after using baking soda and vinegar like google suggested, I rinsed it down with water by pouring cups of water. Now the water was clogged. I was able to get rid of most of the water by using a towel and squeezing the excess water down the sink drain.

Anyways, I tell my mom that the dishwasher is clogged and she tells me that it only gets "clogged"/doesn't drain water if it's not turned on. So if it's off, water will not go down the drain.

Is this true? And before any of you suggest I just turn on the dishwasher to test out her hypothesis... Neither of us know how to turn it on and we're both pretty sure it's just broken.