Copying photos (130G) into a drive with 3TB free space. Error message saying I need 60GB more free space. Why?

Trying to copy 4000 or so photos (130G) into my a hard drive (4TB). In the File Explorer, the property of the drive shows more than 3TB free space. Yet, I get error message saying I need 60GB more free space. Why?

it may be the min size for a file ie a file occupies a number of clusters. so im saying the total number of files may be too many whereby each must occupy at least the smallest number of clusters which may mean a lot of wastage

Copy 3.5 GB, at one time.

Try copying it with robocopy from the command line.

1) in the Start Menu on Windows, type cmd.

2) right click and run as administrator

3) type robocopy and press enter

This will "start" robocopy and will give you a simple set of instructions:

Simple Usage :: ROBOCOPY source destination /MIR

source :: Source Directory (drive:\path or \\server\share\path).

destination :: Destination Dir (drive:\path or \\server\share\path).

/MIR :: Mirror a complete directory tree.

For more usage information run ROBOCOPY /?

For instance if I wanted to copy all the files from

c:\users\user\pictures

to

f:\pictures

Here would be the command:

ROBOCOPY c:\users\user\pictures f:\pictures /MIR

• Fulano

Windows has never been very good at bulk file operations, I don't know why but I've never had much luck with moving that many files at once.

Thank you for your answers. I still don't know why. It seems to be working if I copy only 200 photos at a time. If I try to copy 400 photos at a time, it fails saying that I need such and such amount of more free space but if I do it by 200 files at a time, it works. Why?

partition too small? old o/s can't address the full 4 Tb?

The only thing I can think of is that you are actually trying to copy the photos to a different drive by mistake