Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 5 months ago

Safe to Use "Urine Bottle" Long-Distance Travel?

I've heard people (truckers, for ex.) use bottles to pee in their car for long-distance drives when they're in a rush or they don't have bathrooms nearby. If I did this for a multi-day trip, is the urine dangerous to keep in the bottle? Would it grow like massive bacteria?

Update:

Also, would adding some rubbing alcohol (common disinfectant) into the bottle before I pee help kill bacterial in it)?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

I have stored a portable urinal under my car seat for 20 years. I used an urinal when I was homeless and lived in my car for a short time.

harrald

• 5 months ago

You don't keep it around for long periods of time.

• Pippin
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Yes, bacteria would grow in the bottle. But unless you plan to drink it or something, not sure how that would be dangerous -- rather than just smelly and unpleasant.

But of course you would empty and rinse the bottle when you DO stop.

(And I'd be far more concerned about trying to pee into a bottle while driving. )

• Carson
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

You use it then dump it out.

I can't imagine using a bottle like the hospital gives you when it's half full and you're driving.

Pull off an exit, use it, dump it, get back in the hiway.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • jimmy
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

You don't keep the bottle.

• 5 months ago

It would start to smell, which is essentially the telltale indicator for bacterial growth (fresh urine is pretty low on bacteria, but it's a very nice breeding medium).

But, like anonymous said, not taking breaks when driving is much more dangerous.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

It's safe, just tip it down a toilet when you do stop.

What's not safe is not taking regular break when driving

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.