Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicCelebrities · 5 months ago

Is this classed as victim blaming?

During the weekend, actress Bella Thorne was hacked and the hacker discovered nude photos of herself in her iCloud. The hacker then blackmailed her with the nude photos. Thorne then uploaded her own nudes online so that the hacker lost power over the situation.

On an episode of "The View" yesterday, the hosts of the show were discussing what happened to Bella Thorne. One of the hosts, Whoopi Goldberg, said, "I don't care how old you are, you don't take nude photos of yourself. Once you take that picture, it goes into the cloud and it's available to any hacker who wants it; and if you don't know that in 2019, that this is an issue. I'm sorry, you don't get to do that."

Is what Whoopi Goldberg said victim blaming?

Whoopi Goldberg did not specifically suggest Bella Thorne was to blame for this situation. However, it would seem Whoopi is simply reiterating that once anything it out there on worldwide web, it can never be removed. So think with caution before posting a comment or photograph. Fact is, there is no such possibility as complete deletion from the online world.

• autumn5 months agoReport

But she didn’t post it. She took the photo on her cell phone.

• GEEGEE

No. It is an honest assessment of the way of the world in 2019.

'blaming' is the wrong word, since there has been no negative incident, there is nothing to blame on someone. We should all get to see the T&A&P of Ms Thorne, since she is not ugly.

Idk, I would say no though

I would not go that far but it is illegal rather they charged them with hacking

no, that's not victim blaming.

it's more like : HEY STUPID - THE STOVE IS HOT, DON'T TOUCH IT.

see... that's something that anyone who's at least a teenager should already absolutely know without doubt. so don't do ignorant things then whine when they come back and bite you in the ***. YOU do not make the rules... but you better figure them out real fast.

no it’s the truth. be smart. if you are famous, there are going to be lots of people trying to hack you. storing those pictures on your phone is just stupid.

a little bit. However people should be able to take nude photos if they choose(Most people do this). But you also have to take responsibility in knowing when you have nude photos of yourself on your phone you take risk of your phone /cloud or whatever online storage you use being hacked. i think people need to be more careful with nude photos on their phone, especially Celebrities since they are big targets for hackers..But that doesn't mean anyone deserves it though.

It's not entirely Bella's fault. Whoppi has a point though,but I think Whoopi could of worded it better instead of blaming it all on Bella

• xyzzy

I am not a fan of Whoopi Goldberg and seldom agree with anything she says but in this case she is correct. I'm not even sure what you mean by "victim blaming" but if you do something stupid then you have to accept the consequences.

In a sense yeah I suppose.