Kayode asked in PetsCats · 5 months ago

How do I get my cat classified as a support or service animal?

Yeah you know I need to take my cat with me on a flight but the airline wants to charge me $125.00 which is ridiculous because the cat won't even his own seat. What do I have to say so that they think he's a support animal?

Dont listen to armchair know it alls who know nothing, any animal can be a service animal, there are veterans with ptsd with cats and other animals as service animals, people with anxiety do also

• Nekkid Truth!

It literally says on ADA website that ONLY dogs and mini horses can be service animals.
      You are thinking of ESAs. Any animal "can" be an ESA, but they are NOT service animals.

The cat will be the one in need of emotional support if you take it flying.

• Star_of_Darkness

The cat will still have to be in a air line approved carrier and will HAVE to be under the seat

Did you hear about the lady that tried to bring a squirrel on a flight? She said it was a service animal

You could get a note from your psychiatrist.

A letter from your health care provider stating your pet is in your best interest.

A cat will never be a service animal, they won't task train.

That will not change an airlines policy where carry on pets are concerned.

You are right though, I pay less than that for a human,,outrageous.

• Ocimom

You don't. If you want the cat to fly with you, then you pay the $125 for the cat to ride in-cabin. Stop trying to fake a service/support animal just to get out of paying the fees.

Cats CANT be service animals. Only dogs and mini horses can be service animals.

As far as an emotional support animal.. You need documentation from the psych Dr who is currently treating your mental health issues.

• PAMELA

A cat cannot be a support animal.

• ZotsRule

Edna quit spreading your idiotic misinformation!!!!!

Cats cannot be service animals, but they can be emotional support animals. The only requirement to have your cat attributed as an emotional support animal is to have a written letter from a licensed mental health professional, often called an “emotional support animal letter”. There is no legal requirement for Emotional Support Animals to be registered.

So if you know anyone in the profession, just walk to his or her office and ask them to give you a letter (obviously if necessary you may need to pretend or act a bit like you were abused and traumatised by humans when you were young and now absolutely can't live without your cat).

• ZotsRule

Agree - EDNA YOU ARE AN EFFING IDIOT!!! It's also BS that you can just ask any "doctor friend" to recommend a cat for you. It has to be THE THERAPIST OR PSYCHOLOGIST TREATING YOU for a specific condition.

They have cracked way down on that. First off, emotional support animals are getting the boot in most cases.They are also limiting it pretty much to dogs and cats. The real kicker is you have to provide proof at the time you book the slight, such as doctor's letters saying you need the animal. If you do get an OK they have to be able to fit under the seat in the front of you or stay in your lap. Of course then you have the issue of the person in the seat next to you claiming they are allergic to cats. Oh, last thought, it might cost more to go to the doctor and maybe get the letter than it is just to pay the money to the airline. I also doubt a doctor would want to be bothered with it. He may see you and then refer you to a shrink to see if you really have an issue.

• ZotsRule

Cats can NEVER sit on someone's lap on a flight. They HAVE to be in their carrier and they HAVE to be under the seat in front of you.