Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 5 months ago

Why doesn't postmates ask permission or at least allow restaurants to opt out?

My employer has made rules for all the staff that we are not to take postmates orders. We've asked them to remove us from their page, but they won't. Now it has become a game where they try to not let us know they are postmates when ordering. If we catch them at any point even after placing the order, we will cancel it.

They may not need permission to try, but a business has a right to refuse to sell to them. And, they seem to misrepresent to our customers that they represent our brand or that we have some type of partnership.

A hunch: postmates does NOT wait for restaurants to "sign up". They add you whether or not you want it. They refuse any request to remove you from their service. They don't ask permission at all.

They use old menus uploaded by customers, not us. They communicate with the customer, not us. They really should ask for a businesses permission but they say it is impossible to opt out and there is nothing they can do. So, we just refuse to sell to them. We don't trust them to represent us or properly handle our products in transport. Plus, they give misinformation about our business to customers.

We don't accept orders from any of them. Postmates is the only one that refuses to let us opt out (that I know of) and even goes as far as to not tell us it is a postmates order.

Postmates has never attempted a return on any food they did get from us. If the order was correct and their customer declined it for some reason, we would not offer postmates a refund period. If they attempted a chargeback, we would fight it tooth and nail.

• Erik

The real question is why you're making such a huge stink about it. Do you REALLY think these people who get cold or smashed food are blaming YOU? Of course not, they're blaming Postmates (or hopefully themselves for being so dumb). There's no damage to your "brand" in that situation, you're just turning business away.

• Jay

Have you tried contacting Postmates upper management?

Have you tried putting on your online profile that you do not accept orders from Postmates?

Another question - IS the business doing so well financially that you can continue to refuse Postmates orders and still stay in business?

Do you allow orders from other delivery services like Door Dash and Grub Hub? If yes why do you fill their orders and not Postmates?

Finally - if the problem is that Postmates takes so long to deliver the food that the food is refused or given a bad review...then can you not put on your website, receipt, carryout menus and a sign in the window that says " Our food is carefully prepared to give you the best dining experience. If you order through a delivery service, we are unable to guarantee that the food delivered will be the same as when we prepared it. Therefore we will deduct a 50% return fee from any and all orders handled through a delivery service other than our own."

• John

Simple. Save yourselves much grief and get the business too. Put it on your receipts or print up a note: "We are not responsible for handling or delivery by third parties".

Me, I always thought that folks who sit there waiting an hour for someone to bring cold food to their door in a box pretty much gets the experience they asked for. But that's just me.....

Sure, a business can refuse...but it sounds like your business isn't even aware of who is ordering from you.

Why not, when they show up to pick up...refuse to give it to them? Sure, you'll waste food for a week or two but they'll get the hint...

• Erik

I guess they don't want to cook food and not get paid for it...

Why would you turn down business?

Someone voted thumbs down....still doesn't explain why you would turn away business. I'm genuinely interested in this. Does Postmates get a discount or somehow disrupt business to such a degree that it costs money to do business with them? My daughter works for Postmates and tells me that there is no difference between a regular person calling in an order versus Postmates. So, again, I ask...why turn down business?

• Erik

That made me laugh. Who cares if there was a dog in the car? Isn't the food in sealed containers?

Because they don't need permission to order food from your employer's restaurant.

Not sure why your employer is so hacked off about Postmates. You worker bees are the ones getting screwed on tips.

ETA: "a business has a right to refuse to sell to them" I don't disagree. But accepting the order IS agreeing to sell to them. It's really not cool to accept the order then send them away when they come to pick up the food.

• Desire

This is the politics site.