Jimin asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 5 months ago

Is there another way to persuade my mom to let me dance?

Even though I dance a lot like 24/7, my mom won t let me do dance. My dad tried to persuade her, but it doesn t work. I asked my mom why not, and she replied it s because I m going to be stupid if I do dance and not study. I maintain straight A s and finish all my work in time. I don t understand her. So I replied to her that it s my decision because it s my life, but she said she s my mom and she decides everything I have to do. Is there another way to persuade her?

• Dimple

You’re probably Asian. Asian parents don’t get it until you just go and do it. The worst is they blame everyone else if their child goes off and does an extracurricular activity.

In the end when you really accelerate at your hobby AND your studies they start boasting about how amazing their child is due to their parenting. .

Lol.

Your mother is being incredibly unreasonable because her very reason for her flat out "no" is due to your studies, which makes absolutely no sense because you are a straight A student.

Appeal to your father. Without whining and being emotional....Go to him and let him know that you are frustrated because mom has no good reason to prevent you from participating in dance. Let him know that her "reason" is because she wants you to study. But because you already are getting straight "A's", there is no way to improve your grades. Ask him to convince your mother to allow you to dance and if one of your grades slips below an "A", you will quit dance.

Also, remind your father that when you fill out a college application, it looks good that you are involved with extra circular activities, as colleges like to see that applicants pursue their interests.

I simply cannot understand your mother because her "reasoning" makes absolutely zero sense. I am wondering if she has another reason of her own, like she does not want to drive or spend the time watching your recitals or something else that is selfish.

If you were my child and you got straight "A's", I would hand you the world on a silver platter.

You might explain to your Tiger Mom that universities don't just look at grades. They look at extracurriculars too and if you've got none that could affect your getting an acceptance.

• marys.momma

Community service, extracurricular activities, and involvement in art, music, dance, theater, and such cultural things all add to your "score" with colleges.

Of course, the type of dance does make a difference. Ballet and modern dance make a better impression than break dancing or party dancing.

Ask Kevin Bacon

• kim

Sit her down to watch the music video, I hope you dance by Lee Ann Womack. A wonderful video. And I hope you dance too. You sound like a lovely girl!

Your way forward for the moment is to tackle the issue of getting your mom to agree to you attending dance at school/college or a dance class/group, while at the same time maintaining your excellent academic performance.

The first step in any successful negotiation is to understand the point of view of the person you are talking to, so get wise on what is going on in her mind.Let's say she is fearful that creative/performance careers are tough to get into, knowing that only the very best will get there, and that often it is very important to have a back-up plan so that you can pay your rent and other bills when you're an adult and leave home. This is practical, however she may also have an emotional desire to see you happy and successful, she may have struggled in her own life to achieve status and recognition and wants this for you.

Ok so this is her- next we come to you and what you want. Focus on something you want to achieve in the next few months- a class or group, maybe once a week? Get all the details so that you have the information at hand - where , when, costs etc. Think through how you will present this to your mom- how it will benefit your career, your education and your well-being. For example, it is well known that students who work hard and excel in academic studies, also need to have work-life balance by doing an activity at least once a week that gives them relaxation and enjoyment. Students who fail to attend to this have been known to experience stress, low self esteem and poor physical fitness, which has a negative impact on their academic success.

If you present your argument in this way, rather than getting into a massive emotional argument about who rules you, you'll be more likely to get what you want.

There will be time in the future to settle this argument, you will be an adult in a few years, for now win this battle.

Step by step you'll get there! Best wishes x

Assuming there are no factors such as money or time, promise her you will drop out of dance if any grade drops below "A". Hold yourself to that promise. No matter what, your life is currently your parents' responsibility. They get to make the final decisions. Do yourself a favor and put academics first always.

Dancing is competitive. I think you should reconsider what you want to do.

I bet you like to dance, and dancing makes you happy right, but you are not able to see past the present which isn't good.

I somewhat agree with your mom. Dancing won't make you stupid, but I am not sure if you would be able to have a good future. What's inside of your mind is what could have value, and at this point I don't see much value.

Since you are getting straight As then I think you need to be challenged. Unfortunately I am not your teacher, so I can't challenge you. If I was your teacher then I think you will start to feel pressure,

I suggest you look, for an academic challenge instead of dancing.

Your mom told you to study, and I will tell you the same thing.

Source(s): I am a male.

you rnight not able to, just dance sornewhere else so she dont bother you about it

It's her decision if she's going to be paying for it. Just keep trying to convince her.