How to help disabled child in summer camp?

I work at a YMCA with children for their summer camp program. We have a 15 year old girl who has a disability that causes her to have the mind of a 6 year old child. My boss grouped her with the older kids and they constantly bully her because shes different. My boss won't allow her to be grouped with the younger kids. I am not trained to work with kids with special needs so I do not know how to help her. Advice please?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

if there is no supervisor with the ability to guide you, YMCA is being negligent.

PEOPLE WHO AREN'T IGNORANT KNOW BULLYING IS A MAJOR PROBLEM AT HIGH SCHOOL AGE...heck is a major problem among adults AGE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT OR SOMEONE BEING OLD ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND, DISCIPLINED PRE PRESCHOOLERS CAN UNDERSTAND.

you and the supervisor need to meet with the parent and ask the parent for suggestions.

it really isn't appropriate to treat her like a 6 year old and group her with young kids. she has every right to be included with kids her own age as much as possible.

you can ask the parent if they would be willing to write a letter to the other kids and their parents introducing her child. if the parent agrees meet with the other kids and go over it. ask the parent if the one with the disability should be included in that or if she should be brought elsewhere for that time...if at all possible have the parent talk to the other kids.

after that lay down the law. they don't need to be her best friend, but they can't exclude her and they can't bully her....anyone bullying with have consequences....clear it with your boss about any discipline plan.

be sure to give positive attention to kids that are including her.

LIKE BULLYING AT 5 or 10 IS NOT TOO OLD TO BULLY???????????????????

• A Hunch
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Knowing it is a problem and allowing it to happen are NOT the same thing!

• 5 months ago

You need to pull the bullies aside one by one and tell them how they are treating her is wrong. Or speak to your counselor and tell him that you feel it is absolutely necessary to move her with the younger kids because she is being picked on. Make sure you express how strongly you feel about the need for change.

• 5 months ago

FIFTEEN YEAR OLDS ARE WAY TOO OLD TO BE BULLYING OTHER INDIVIDUALS!

A formal investigation needs to occur and these individuals need to be kicked out of camp if it's actually true.

Tell your boss what is going on and the actions you expect to be taken.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.