Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 5 months ago

Can my family member be deported?

My family member has their permanent residency card and has had it for decades. Their record is clean and has paid all of their tickets in the past on time. I’m scared and do not want them to be deported. I want to know if it is possible? I want to be educated on all of the facts, please and thank you.

• Edwena

Then read the immigration rules and processes. You should be able to find an immigration forum that exchanges advice. Now, your family member has to have his green card renewed. He cannot have it for decades, since the maximum time before expiration is 10 years. Then it must be renewed. Or it might be so old that it has no expiration date. In any event, you should ask to see the green card to be sure he really has one.

• dee5 months agoReport

yes, my family member has the new one. My family member makes sure to renew it.

Sure, anyone who's not a citizen can be deported. This person would be well beyond being eligible for naturalization so they should probably look into that.

A legal permanent resident cannot be deported except in limited circumstances. Most commonly, green card can be revoked for conviction of certain types of crimes, or commission of fraud at any step of the visa/immigration process (whenever that fraud is eventually uncovered).

If your family member has been a legal permanent resident for many years, kept their green card renewed, chances of deportation are nearly nil. Green card would not have been renewed if they had been convicted of a deportable crime or had committed visa/immigration fraud. Stop worrying over nothing.

• Criminal background check is not done till you apply to naturalise. There are many felons with valid greencards.

• Maxi

Anyone who is not a citizen can be deported it depends on what they do

What don't you understand about the word "permanent"? Are you daft?

• martin

Someone with a permanent residency card has a right to remain in America. They should be studying for their citizenship exam also. Homeland security has more than enough illegal immigrants to round up without bothering someone with a green card.

• Lisa A

Why are you scared? Why would you think that any legal remedy would be taken against someone who obeys the law? That is silly.

Only illegals with final deportation orders need fear.

If they are here illegally, they can and hopefully will be deported. We have laws in this country. Legals are welcome. Illegals are not.

Just believe in yourself the rest is up to me and you