Jessey asked in TravelAsia PacificChina · 5 months ago

Am I racist towards my own race?

I'm born in Australia but my parents are from Hong Kong so we watch Hong Kong news every night. On news they often talk about people from mainland China peeing and pooping everywhere on the streets and doing uncivilized things. My parents also told me the laws in mainland China are really unfair and that people from mainland China are usually rude and uncivilized because Chinese tourists apparently do a lot of bad tjings.now I strongly dislike people from mainland china and I'm from Hong Kong. Am I racist towards my own race?

No, you just don't like people from mainland China. People from Taiwan and Hong Kong are also ethnically Chinese but they are much more civilized and polite. I have visited both Taiwan and mainland China and the differences are enormous, even though the people are both the same race.

Not really many Hong Kongers want to separate themselves from mainland Chinese cause of what they are trying to do to Hong Kong 🇭🇰

I hope the people from Hong Kong get their freedom from the communist on the mainland next door

• Not at all. Do not let Chinese Communists make you think they are 'chinese'. Mainland's behavior has been entirely changed by the Communist Party. What you dislike is the culture of Chinese Communist Party. The Chinese Communist Party has made people disgusting.

It is a fair dislike, It is a just dislike. The CCP was created out of pure evil: betrayal of China by helping Japan attack China, genocide, mass executions, and twisting of truths. It has left an entire region without civility, without culture, without moral compass. The 'moral vacuum' in mainland China is well documented and continues to be a problem. Remember, the lack of morality is *essential* for CCP's survival.

Before I know a person, I do not make judgements (at least I try to). I made friends with people from mainland China and see them as a person, not a category. But as soon as I realize this person believes in CCP propaganda, have the indoctrination of the CCP, I frown upon that. There are many mainlanders, usually much older generation who saw the atrocities first hand, who are genuinely good people, and I admire them.

On watching a documentary of the Tiananmen Square massacre, hearing the student leaders speak, I found them heroic and, in fact, I look up to them and admire their bravery, their quest for justice and truth.

PS: Do not buy into CCP propaganda of 'What is Chinese'. In reality 'Chinese' is an artificial construct. A complicated one, that enbodies many different cultures. Cantonese is very different from Fukinese, is very different from Shanghainese. The CCP would like to turn everyone into 'Chinese', meaning 'everyone is under their control'. It would be as ridiculous as someone from United States insisting that someone from Brazil is 'American', therefore any Brazilian who criticizes the US is betraying their own 'American' race.

• Zirp

All humans are the same race.

Disliking elements of some cultures is not racist

You're an individual not a race, just leave it at that

No it sounds more like a cultural devide issue then racism.

If you are not that way not sure why it's hard to imagine other people of your race are not.