Geo asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 5 months ago

Can ICE and Police just ask for ID and Paper out of nowhere? Without probable cause other than “looking” like an illegal?

I’m a legal citizen as well as my parents. I’m a 3rd gen Mexican American. There’s been a lot of news around stating President Trump will send lots of ICE officers to try to catch those illegal.

I appear like the ‘typical’ Mexican. Brown Skin eyes black hair etc.(I know Mexican is not a race but many do and stereotype).

If an officer were to ask for my ID an papers what should I do?

I don’t believe I should just show my information for looking like an illegal to them. Is that enough of of reason?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • jimmy
    Lv 4
    5 months ago
    Best answer

It is a violation of your rights but you should just show them if you're legal and move on, they can and will make up some bullsh*t to ruin your life with, hell maybe even take your life.

• 5 months ago

No, they cannot. 4th amendment, US Constitution.

If they ask, you in turn ask why they are asking and if you are being detained on suspicion of having committed a crime. If so, what crime? If no crime, not detained, walk away.

• ?
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

What are you afraid of? If you're asked for id just show it. Matter dealt with.

• Geo5 months agoReport

Nothing thankfully, it’s just that it shouldn’t have to be like that, but unfortunately it is.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

No. They have to show a warrant from a judge with your name on it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

I'm a 3rd generation American, and I would not care if I was asked for ID every day, if it would help the cause of ridding the nations of illegals.

• 5 months ago

"If an officer were to ask for my ID an papers what should I do?" Unless you have the time and money to be a test case in front of the supreme court, show them what you have.

• 5 months ago

I would think that you would be proud to prove that you were an American citizen.

• davidmi711
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

While it is not a lot of money, many people will not spend the extra money if they don't see a need.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.