If someone told you to stop writing stories, would you do it?

This girl told me to stop writing cause it was horrible.

If you enjoy writing, keep writing. Even if she's right and your writing is horrible, then that doesn't mean it will continue to be horrible, we all have to start somewhere. Plus, if it was a first draft then most first drafts suck. Mine certainly do, and I've seen first drafts from bestselling authors that weren't very good either.

Also, if your goal isn't to publish and get a bunch of readers, then who says it has to be good? If writing makes you happy, then do it for the sheer pleasure of it. I once knew an amateur writer whose writing was awful and who, while very active in writing workshops, never listened to any writing advice. He'd continue to write these long, tedious, telling reads that nobody but himself seemed to love, but that was enough for him.He sadly passed away some years ago and never did get published, but he'd spent thousands of hours doing what he loved and he made a lot of friends in the writing community. We all miss him, if not his writing. That's not too shabby a way to spend your time, I think. I'm sure writing gave him much more joy than reading, watching TV etc.

Heck no! Dont let a stranger kill your dreams!

If you enjoy writing stories, keep writing. Doesn't matter if she thinks you suck. Keep writing. Write for yourself.

If at some point, someone else likes your writing, you might make a living out of it.

• Ben

I would, so I can practice listening to someone else and not always getting what I want.

F*ck no. For a long time I had a troll telling me to stop writing. They left rude, nasty comments on my blog any chance they could get. It never stopped me from doing what I love. If it did the troll would have won.

As for this girl, she's either being a troll or there's valid criticism. I'm guessing troll since she told you to stop writing rather than give constructive criticism on what you can improve. I'd give her one chance to explain what is wrong with your writing and what can be improved. If she still acts like a tw*t goblin then block her and move on.

• Amber

If you enjoy doing it, then carry on. It's hard for me to say because I haven't read your work. Was this girl just being a jealous ***** or was she just giving you some honesty? Even if it is "horrible" you can always improve it with practice and learning your craft.

Nobody gets to tell you to stop writing, or playing an instrument, or drawing. Wanting to do it is all the permission you need, and you can continue without anybody's approval but your own.

They don't have to read the results, and after an insult like that, I would be disinclined to share my writing with that person anyway.

Do as you please.

I would continue as long as I was enjoying it