Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkNon-Alcoholic Drinks · 5 months ago

I hate drinking water are there alternatives?

I don't get how people drink 8 cups a day I really can't stand water it tastes weird sometimes. Can I drink juice mixed with water or lemon water or whatever or do I have to drink actual water?

I also have a hard time drinking water. But, ever since I bought a new fridge with a filtered cold water dispencer , I find myself drinking more water. I finally figured out that I do not like tap water, for no other reason other than tap water is not icy cold, like refrigerated water.

If you can pour yourself a quart of water into a container every morning and drink it for the rest of the day, it will be gone by the time you go to bed. Having it right there, pre-dispensed in a container, and cold, you are more likely to drink it as a matter of habit.

You may want to squeeze some citrus into the water (grapefruit, lemon, lime or orange). Some people add fresh mint, which is very good for you and also an appetite suppressant. I would not get into the habit of putting any sweetener, like sugar or artificial sweeteners, but a tablespoon of honey is very good in water....especially local honey if you have allergies, as local honey is the antidote to local pollen, which causes allergy reactions in those allergic.

You should drink 4 8oz cups a day, which equals a quart. Not 8 8oz cups.

Just add some sugar free squash/juice.

Just add a fruit wedge. Lime is my favorite. You could also try cucumber water with a bit of mint and lemon. I've had that at a few baby showers and it's very good.

• patty

my brother drinks evian water. theres no way we need 8 cups of water a day.

I'm with you. I rarely drink water. I claim water will rust my pipes. I'm joking, but it's true I don't drink water very often.

For example, when the waiter asks would you care for some water, everyone but me at the table says yes. I say no and the waiter looks at me like I'd just insulted him or something. Sometimes I'd get "Are you sure sir?"

When I drink, I want to taste something and water is just too bland, too tasteless. My favorite non-alcoholic drink is the Arnold Palmer, which is ice-tea and lemonade combined. So I keep a jug of AP in my refrigerator all the time. And that's probably 98% water by volume; so I get my water, but it doesn't tasted like water.

The answer is no...you don't need to drink pure water. That water can come as ades like lemonade, as infusions like tea, as sodas, and as a whole host of drinks made mainly of water but with some flavor added.

• oldprof

Arthur is his younger brother.

I jest. I just wasn't paying attention to what I was tiping, tuping, ... , typing.

Thanks for catching it.

Sure put something in it that gives it a little flavor if you like, but don’t add sugar, fake sugar or anything that adds calories. You also want to be careful that it isn’t 8 cups of coffee or tea as those are both diuretics.

i only drink 2-4 cups per day, the rest is with tea and/or coffee, if i feel like it. meme meme is completely right, the whole 8 cups + more is made up. you should drink when you're thirsty, sure, or when you're bored and think you're hungry. that's about it. constantly drinking water nonstop is actually really bad for you and for your kidneys. you're putting your kidneys into overdrive mode, making them constantly work harder and harder.

i was a "water junky" for a while and after about 6 months of nonstop water, i noticed my back hurting so badly for weeks on end. i was peeing all the time and it was crystal clear. my doctor actually said to lay off the liquids a million times a day. i went down to about 4 cups and was still just fine, no more back hurting, and was still hydrated.

lemon water, berry water, whatever alternative you want to do with it is just fine. it's the sneaky sugars in most drinks that make them bad.

You might try unsweetened naturally flavored seltzer like Talking Rain or Canada Dry. It comes in flavors like peach, raspberry, lemon lime, etc. It's a nice fizzy beverage that is just carbonated water and natural flavoring. No sugar, no sodium, etc.

Unsweetened herbal tea is a good option too. Tazo makes some nice ones. I particularly like the Refresh which is a mint blend with tarragon. It's good hot or cold.

Yes you can drink plain water with lemon but the lemon may take the enamel off your teeth over time.

Fruit juice is empty calories. Yes you can drink it, but it's not good for your teeth or your waistline.

There are sugar-free juice alternatives like Crystal Light. They have these little squeeze bottles of fruity flavoring you can add to your water. These have no calories but they do contain artificial sweetener and artificial color.

• Mark

You could drink barley water, but soft drinks and coffee/tea are not good substitutes for real water.

Edit: Or try gasoline.

• coffee and tea are most easily thought of as "water" neutral since the caffeine content causes you to pee out a proportion of what you drink.

• David

No not at all because the given alternatives are just as good.