ALL FAITHS: What are the fundamental differences between moral (spiritual) laws and civic law? Please answer in line with your faith, even?

as an atheist.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • DP.
    Lv 6
    1 year ago
    Favourite answer

There are three differences....

1) Authority

2) Application

3) Consequences

Authority.

The authority of spiritual law is God and His word.

The authority of civic laws is supposed to be democratic but is really political process

Application

Spiritual law is governed by God. Although we sometimes see application or what we think is application, in the main we have a poor insight into how God applies. As Corrie Ten Boom said it's a tapestry we only see from the ugly side. By faith we believe application is entirely fair but know this can only be accepted because we know the character of the author ... all powerful, all knowing, all loving and all just.

Civic law is governed by the police and judicial process. Often this is seen as unfair (both ways. i.e conviction of innocence and failure to condemn the guilty).

Consequence

The consequence of breaking spiritual laws is spiritual effects which are twofold... i)Punishment at the final reckoning ii) Earthly consequence. Thus someone who commits adultery will i) account to God ii) cause effects on this earth (even if they're not caught it's some measure in degradation of character). Spiritual law breaking is by faith, is always detected, always requires accounting and always has consequence.

The consequence of breaking civic law in modern countries falls into one of five categories.. i) no caught no consequences ii) warning iii) fines iv) service to community v) confinement

Clearly there is overlap.

• Hogie
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

There is no such thing as a moral law. There is no law, or law set that, should you comply with it, you are seen by God as being a moral person. You are what you think, and not what you do. Laws list what is immoral and prescribe a punishment for those who transgress them. So your question is rendered moot. Whether a law addresses one's immorality, or civil responsibilities, they are, in the end, still laws that should they be transgressed, result in judgment.

• Let me assume that civic laws are also moral laws. ... if we follow them we have the right to pursue health and happiness. It’s spelled out clearly, the consequences of breaking those laws.

The fundamental difference is that no person really cares if a Christian , Muslim or atheist is sinning against spiritual laws, provided they follow the civi laws.

• 1 year ago

There simply are absolutes that most everyone agrees with and are fundamental to both moral and civil law... it is wrong to kill, steal, lie, etc. Any perceived differences are attempts to regard bad as good and are diversions from these truths. Corruption and greed, both religious and secular, has historically influenced civil law in many ways... often not for the good of society and culture.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 year ago

If God does not exist, then objective moral values and duties do not exist. But objective moral values and duties do exist. Therefore, God exists.

Civic law is subjective. Therefore it is from man and is relative.

Thriving societies try to conform their civic laws to morality. And as I've shown, morality is from God; therefore, thriving societies try to conform their civic laws to God's law.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Moral is obeying Trinity God

Civic is being nuts and rejecting God but making the law into your god

𓂸𓂸

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

One of my favorite examples is that there is no law on the books against cursing people, but it is still a violation of certain spiritual laws.

• 1 year ago

Moral laws are optional. Civic laws are punishable.

• 1 year ago

SOME OF THE TEN COMMANDS ARE IN THE LAWS...

SUCH AS DO NOT STEAL...THIEVES CAN BE JAILED AND RAPISTS AND ATTACKERS AND THOSE WHO KILL...GOD ALSO SAID NO MURDER AND NO LYING, HONOR YOUR PARENTS, NO COVETING ETC...SEE EXODUS 20...GOD WILL FORGIVE though when we make mistakes...we can pray to Him anytime.

• 1 year ago

If one doesn't repent of violating moral laws (i.e. sinning), they'll go to hell (Lk 13:3). Going 45 in a 35 mph zone may get you a ticket, but not a ticket straight to hell.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.