What do you think of the current debate in the United States? Should payments be made to the descendants of the African Slave Trade? Why?

Or why not?

No. There simply no justification. Unless we pay the descendants of Indians the US displaced or killed , the Chinese of 1800-1905 democrat California, the Japanese of Internment camps. the Irish, the Italians, the Germans and ALL who endured racism and near slavery in the first 200 years of the Greatest Nation in the history of the World.

It is simply not possible to determine who should be paid or even how much.

• Ted K

It is only one among numerous debates. Not being black myself, it is not a high priority for me at this moment. It should be seriously considered ONLY after we first unseat that fat orange pig in the White House. THAT is priority #1. Priority #2 is taking the Senate away from McConnell.

Progressive issues cannot be realistically addressed until we get rid of the above two POSs. Over the next year and a half, ALL Democratic energies should be devoted to those two goals. Only after we clean up the chaos & destruction these vile trolls have inflicted can we start to build again. At this point, all else is pointless and self-destructive distraction.

No. There is no justification on earth for such a crazy idea.

• Jeff D

It has no chance of passing Congress and, therefore, there's no concrete proposal. It's only function is to allow politicians to appear favorably inclined towards it, and thus virtue-signal and pander for votes (see also, the Green New Deal).

Absolutely not. Their ancestors were offered reparations when they were offered free transportation and settlement in the African territory now called Liberia. Some of their ancestors took that offer, which is why the Liberian flag looks much like the American one and the Liberian capital is named after POTUS James Monroe.

The rest of the freemen and emancipated opted to stay behind in the now unified United States of America. It was their choice to forego the reparations that were offered back then. So the African-Americans today are descendants of former slaves who opted out of reparations. And that's why no one owes anything to the slave descendants.

So if my grandfather uses slave labor to build up a business giving the family wealth then, oops, slavery is bad, grandpa and the slaves are passed; why should I benefit more than the slave's descendants?

Now what if they built a country?

It's a terrible idea. First, very few people can trace their ancestry back far enough to prove their ancestors were slaves. Second, even if you can trace your ancestry back that far, there's been so much intermarriage that many people's ancestry would include both slaves and slave owners. Third, this plan assumes that every taxpayer should bear an equal burden despite the fact some of us are first generation Americans who had no role in slavery. Fourth, the plan is so contentious that any attempt to pull it off would significantly deepen the partisan divide, not to mention ignite racial tensions.

Direct payments are silly since many people with slave ancestors also may have slave owner ancestors. I have seen some say that reparation should be in the form of business development, education, or community development especially since the reparations are not just for slavery but also Jim Crow era loss of opportunity. Depending on the particulars I might be able to support that.

I have no problem offering Reparations to living former slaves.

It really depends on how those 'payments' are calculated and who they are administered to.

I see that most people think of 'Hey you're black, have this check!' as reparations, but it really could be something as innocuous as low-interest loans for housing down payments to people who live in areas that were subject to redlining in the past.

To date, I haven't seen any specific proposals.