Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 5 months ago

What are some symbolic meanings of a songbird in a cage?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

The movie 8 Mile -Eminem is the bird trapped by his cage (where he grew up)

The music video by Logic about suicide -The gay kids the bird who is trapped because he's gay and only wants to live when he can be who he is

A homeless man-the man is the bird but can't be looked upon favorably by society because he's living without a home thus causing him pain and hardship.(his cage)

See a pattern developed here? Something can't be what it was meant to because something outside makes it difficult to do so.

• 5 months ago

It's about a bird that wants to be free to sing.

• 5 months ago

OK . . . I guess it's an assignment about "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou . . . or that can be your reference . . . Symbolism transposes one set of circumstances for another. The bird is caged, imprisoned, but still singing, still engaged with life. Why would it do that? Assignments like this intend to sharpen YOUR critical thinking. If you find it difficult, break it down and connect the vocabulary: bird, song, cage. And don't copy and paste my answer . . . !

• 5 months ago

The songbird in a cage can be a symbol of the artist's melancholy....expression bound in captivity...

Similarly, it can represent the human spirit contained, but also kept secure, by the human form and condition...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.