Is putting a new engine in a 2000 Toyota Camry worth it? The lowest price is $1650?

In my local area, I can buy a 1999 Camry, 4-cyl, 228k miles for $1400.

2000 LE model with 181k going for $1700

At this point of time you could also put your money towards a Corolla, if you don't need the size of the Camry.

It would be worth it if the motor has low miles on it, new plugs, T-Belt. In my area, the cheapest I could find a mechanic for a T-Belt change was $950.

You will need to know the specifics of the motor. Is it a rebuilt motor? did it come from the 2nd hand market? I wouldn't mess with a water damaged motor that some Yuck tried to rebuild.

Consider other factors such as

the transmission being in good shape

no rust damage

any other problems

My brother did the same thing on this 2000 Camry a year and a half ago for the same price. He doesn't regret it. No car payments and Camrys are low maintenance and cheap to service, repair and insure. The car is still worth what it was before the engine needed replacing and he's put over 50K miles on it since the replacement. The low mileage, used JDM engine still runs great.

By the way, the bax2006 is right, about timing belt, so see if shop can replace it before they install the replacement engine, they already have to swap over stuff, so it should cost the same in labor. You just might need to buy a timing belt kit.

Depends how is the body of the car? If the car has lots of rust on it and mileage is high it is probably not worth it it. However, If the car is still in decent shape with little or no rust and lower mileage then it might be worth it.

• JetDoc

No, it's not "worth it".

$1650 is pretty cheap for a new motor.

that sounds more like the price of a used motor.

Used motors may need a timing belt and water pump before it can be trusted,

What's the condition of the brakes, tires and transmission?

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

I don't think it is. Good money after bad. Sell the Camry for scrap and buy a new car.

• Erik

I would use the money to buy a different car. Over time, more stuff is going to go wrong with it.

Source(s): experience

That is about what the car is worth. It would be better to sell it to a scrap yard and use the money to buy a newer car.

• Yes

Nah, you could just put that money into getting a better car.