I smell gas but there s no gas leak. Should I be worried?

We already had a gas line in our house but had a friend (who does this professionally and did this in his own home) add more caps for gas so that we could convert to a gas dryer and stove in the future. So these caps are here now and we have NOT converted to the new appliances yet. I smell gas coming from these areas but my husband doesn t which is strange. We had our friend come back and he checked for leaks twice with the soap test. No leaks. It s been two days and I smell it even from outside now (it s a small mobile home so smells spread fast). I was told it could be carbon monoxide or mold but that doesn t make any sense to me since one is odorless and one smells totally different. Plus we have a carbon monoxide detector. What could it be if there are no leaks?

Get an expert in

i would still be worried. its a call to the gas company and they'll bring out the scanners and make sure there isnt a gas leak anywhere.

• John P

In Britain all gas fitting and modifications etc must be done by fully qualified "Gas Safe" fitters. Anybody else (friend, etc) who touches the gas installation does so illegally. I assume the law is different where you are.

If he ONLY tested with soap, he IS NOT a professional. A REAL professional uses a gas detector.

Either you don't smell gas, you have ROTTEN EGGS, of there IS a gas leak you haven't found. I have every reason to believe you have a gas leak.

See where in the house you smell it Is it in the whole house ?

It never hurts so get some soapy water in a spray bottle to retest all the connections and flexi tubing. Those corrugated flexi gas lines can form micro cracks from bending too much and leak. On old stove cook tops the burner manifold gas valve packing's can fail over time and also cause you to smell escaping NG from the cook top valve manifold area. You can also use a paint brush in some soapy water to look for bubbles indicating a leak. Get someone to test it NOW or turn off the gas until you can get someone out to verify it's good. If you smell mercaptan, there is a leak somewhere.

My idiot ex father in law installed a gas drier once where he kinked the soft copper gas line and almost blew his house up, the LPG had reached explosive levels in the basement to the point that the main LPG tank had to be cut off to air out the basement making it safe to inspect where the leak was coming from.

I have literally connected over 100's of gas appliances in my life and there has never been a problem with any of my iron pipe or brass flare nut fittings. If you can smell it, there's a leak. I have a very sensitive nose like you. I live in MN where all of the appliances use city piped NG or LPG from a bulk tank. I don't need a fancy electronic probe to know there's a leak, my nose tells me really fast. This is why I mentioned the old gas stoves, many people will give them away for free when the cook top manifold valves become loose in the packing seals and start to leak NG/LPG gas at the burner manifold valves under the cook top.

• John

There is only one answer you need to know. Call the gas company. They will come with their sniffers - usually right away, for free as a public service. Any needed repairs are on your dime, but at least you will know.

• Anna E

Call the gas company and let them come out and test just to be sure.

The mercaptan used to odorize natural gas can be detected by humans at levels of only a few parts per billion. Of course some people have better noses than others so it is possible that you can smell it but your husband can't.

The smell of odorized natural gas is very distinctive and is more like rotten eggs. Carbon dioxide had no smell neither do most molds.

If your friend terminated the connections with a valve but did not plug them then that is the likely source of the smell

Your imagination

• Mark

Maybe you've been eating a lot of beans.