Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 4 months ago

HELP HOW TO ENTER CORRECT AMOUNT CUSTOMER GIVES ON CASHIER WITHOUT DECIMAL POINTS?

I am about to work soon and on the cashier there is just a keypad with 0-9 and then 00. If a customer gives me 5.46 how would I enter the decimal point when there is none. If I enter 546 all together should the decimal point automatically come in? but then how does the machine know I am not entering 54.6 and just 5.46 ?!!

this is giving me anxiety for tomorrow

none whats soever

• Andy T

That's how it works, entering in a uniform cent format, bit of annoyance, the 00 is key, to enter $5.46 would be 00546 in a POS system using hundreds as the upper digit.

• Dick

Ask that question when you get to work. Everybody is expected to have some questions when they start a new job ... it's NORMAL. Just relax and ask.

Type like it was all pennies. So 56.4 is actually 5640 cents.

With no decimal point, everything is entered as cents or pence.

The "decimal point" is always two digits from the end, if you prefer to thing about it like that.

Most keyboards on devices that use that system also have an "00" key for entering exact dollar/pound values. The result is just the same as entering two separate zeros, just quicker.

• y

Never learned how those things worked but that never seemed to be an issue for the high school kids learning how to use them. I think you are stressing about nothing.

I'm guessing it automatically enters the decimal point. For 5.46, you enter the 5. the display shows .05. then you enter the 4, and the display will show .54, and finally when you enter the 6, the display will show 5.46.

• Joe

Ask your manager. A good manager will prefer to answer 10 questions, as opposed to correcting one mistake.

With this kind of keyboard, you can enter whole dollar amounts with the "00" key. E.g., 5, followed by 00 is $5.00.

Other than that, the last two digits you enter are cents. enter 5 4 6 to get $5.46.

Whatever you key in, the display should be correct, with a decimal point. Take your time while you are learning.

Ask your supervisor or manager before you start. They won't bite, this is what they are trained and paid to do.

• Mark

You will be trained on the cash register. I hope you don't think they will just throw you out there and say "work!"