Is there a way to troubleshoot my landline phone? It isn’t working now.?

I knew I could call the phone company, but it’s always a big hassle with them. The phone was working perfectly fine a few weeks ago, and I haven’t touched it since then, except for the other day. I picked up the headset, and all I heard was eight crackling sound on the phone. I’ve had this problem before.

Check for voltage on the Red and green wires. It will be 50 VDC on your phone if hung up or 5 VDC if off the hook.Zero if severed somwhere

• Mark

Get a new filter.

Spacemissing is on the right track. While you're in the interface box wondering how to clean up that rat's nest of wires because you don't know what you're doing, notice there's a set of RJ11 jacks that are used to bridge the phone company's side to your side. Plug a known good phone that doesn't need any outside electricity into the one your wires are connected to. If you don't get a dial tone, call the phone company (by other means). If you do, then get down to business because that's not the phone company's problem.

The punch line: last time I had to do that, it turned out one of the extensions had been off the hook...

That (literally) sounds like there are oxidized and/or corroded connections somewhere.

If you can reach the box where the wires from the phone company

and the wires in your house are connected together,

you could clean it all up.

In the 1990s, I had a similar problem.

I restripped the wires so that they were all clean, bright copper,

and I gave the threaded posts a good going-over with a wire brush.

After tightening the nuts on the posts Firmly,

I picked up the phone and heard no more crackles.