"Passive Aggressive" ....what does it really mean?

does it mean intentionally doing things to prove a "Active aggression"? and then being aggressive oneself?

Favorite Answer

Add to the conflict by an action which is not, of itself, an open aggression, yet the act does result in an increase in the conflict (and was done with that very intent of increasing the conflict while allowing the actor to pretend that they did nothing wrong that should be seen as increasing the conflict, when that is precisely their purpose).

If someone tells you to do something and you simply do not do it, you have not openly defied the command (you did not say "NO"), but by not fulfilling the demand, you are declaring that the person cannot tell you what to do. You can pretend that you simply forgot or that something else came up, yet you know that the truth is that you simply were refusing without doing it openly. A passive form of being aggressive.

It doesn't really mean anything! I think it's some kind of psychiatric term. Most psychiatrists are quacks!

For example, today when my husband suggested putting out some snacks for dinner guests, when I was already tired, I said 'All right' without any enthusiasm, and pulled a bag of boring potato crisps off the shelf.

I knew he meant stuffed olives, or anchovies on toast, and he knew I knew he meant that. So by pretending to do what he wanted, while knowing he thought the potato crisps were a really poor substitute, I showed passive aggression.

• mokrie

I'll give you examples of passive aggressive speech. " you have such a pretty face for a fat girl." " That's a great story you wrote considering your so uneducated." " You prove that even a clumsy person can learn to dance". Something nice ruined by an insult.

It means giving them enough rope to hang themselves

It means when some one us being aggressive without being completely obvious about it