The horn and cruse control doesn't work anymore?

I have a 2000 Toyota Avalon. The horn stopped working. Cruse control and the audio buttons also stopped working. It's not the horn itself and the fuse and relay are good. The dealership told me it was the whole steering unit and they quoted me $3000. I don't think i need to do all that. Also there is some play in my steering wheel. That is probably a different issue but any help is appreciated.

• JetDoc

Find a different mechanic. The dealer is trying to sell you a complete new steering assembly, when it MAY be just a matter of cleaning the electrical contacts behind the steering wheel. The "play" in your steering wheel is a completely different issue.

• Kishan5 months agoReport

Well do you know what could cause the horn to go out?

• Jay P

If you think the dealer is wrong, get a second opinion from someone else...

Visit other repair shops. A dealer will always charge a fortune. As a minimum get the horn part repaired. Cruise control is not essential after all.

• Jay P

If all the controls are on the steering wheel, all the functions may be connected ( which I would suspect if the dealer is quoting the entire assembly ). In a case like that, it's likely an all or nothing deal. You would not be able to fix only the horn in other words.