Arfan asked in SportsCricket · 5 months ago

Thoughts on England Performance at Cricket World Cup Final 2019 against New Zealand?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

My thoughts are irrelevant. England won.

• snafu
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

They deserved it. Brilliant final that’ll be talked about for eons to come. The drama of it will go down in the annals of sport, not just cricket. The problem is, will a cricket match ever reach that level of drama and controversy again? Cricket won. Hopefully it’ll inspire kids all over the world to take it up.

• 5 months ago

Dill Dill New Zealand

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Yes it was a little nervy but otherwise pretty good. No doubt the Stokes/Buttler partnership was the deciding factor and a large slice of almost science fiction style luck. You had to feel very sad for the Black Caps they played a great game and in some ways actually looked the better side on the day. However, there is no doubt that, when it is firing, the top and middle order of England has to be one of the most dynamic and best in the world if not the best. New Zealand have a great bowling side and to have reduced England to what they were before the fightback was a terrific performance. Don't forget, also, that both these sides beat formidable opponents in the semis. Overall, however, I think England were the best side in the tournament and it can be argued that the only stutter was when one of the star batsmen got crocked with a hamstring. Currently England have an amazing crop of young talent, especially in the middle order and if one or two of those progress as they could then we look set to be in the thick of things for a while. We also have a very good all rounder in Sam Curran and I am hoping he will star in the Ashes. However, the side ought to be picked in accordance with any perceived weakness in the Aussie batting. :) From what I can gather, though, we may not actually be able to field a full strength team until about the third test and by that time we might be 2-0 down. We will have to hope that the numerous injury concerns are overcome.

Returning to the question, yes England played ok but it wasn't their best performance of the tournament, it was just good enough to win which, all things considered, I do believe they actually deserved to.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

What else is there to say? Any criticisms of performance or strategy are made moot by the stunning comeback and win.

The criticisms are going to come at the expense of the New Zealand side. I'm left to wonder why they chose to go with Boult in the Super Over when he had given up the highest run average of all Kiwi bowlers. The numbers suggest de Grandhomme should have been in there.

New Zealand played great through almost the entire match, and if not for a bit of bad luck when an on-target throw struck Stokes' bat and turned two runs into six, the Cup would be theirs. But that's how it goes sometimes, it's better to be lucky than good. Both teams were very good this day. England were luckier.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.