Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 5 months ago

At the back, what is the correct grammar?

In the front and at the front, do they have the same meaning? what is the correct grammar?

Also sometimes, I have heard people said "in the back", sometimes I have heard "at the back" to tell that the person is at the lawn behind a house. Which one is the correct grammar?

Update:

the context.... well suppose you are a property agent. You say, there is a swimming pool at the back of the house? Or At the front lawn, you will see a fountain made of stone.....

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Outside:

There is a stone fountain in front of the house.

There is a pool behind the house.

Inside:

The formal living room is located at the front of the house.

The master suite is at the back of the house.

• John P
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

"In the back " must be mostly American, it is not used in Britain. We would use "at the back", or "around the back" (especially of an area behind a house etc). It is not a matter of grammar, but of regional and national usage. Certainly "in back of" (common in USA) is not used in Britain.

• 5 months ago

As Barkley Huond says, it would be much easier to answer if you gave us the full contexts.

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Both are correct..it's a matter of personal choice and dialect.

• 5 months ago

I would have the see the entire sentence. "In" normally means the object is all around you while "at" could mean next to it.

"In the lawn" sounds like you are lying in the center. "At the lawn" can mean year are near it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.