Tom V
Tom V asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 5 months ago

Why do people say "reason why"? Is there an instance in which saying "the reason why" means something more than simply saying "the reason"?

It is generally true that the "why" part is redundant, yet people are more concerned with explaining why and thus include that exact word in their explanation. One could actually say "the why is that xxxx" instead of " the reason is that xxxx".

It is just a human foible. You are correct yet people will still do it. Heck, I even do it even though I know it usually makes for an awkward sentence.

Maybe 'reason' is a verb.

Ours not to reason why,

Ours but to do or die.

• Roger

You are correct. "Reason why" is a pleonasm. The phrase means no more than "the reason that," a better locution, since "that" is a subordinate conjunction and "why" is not. I don't know why people say "why" but suspect it has to do with the effort thinking takes. It is difficult to determine reasons, and "why" seems to underline the deliberateness of the effort. But that is simply supposition. —I also note that "why" is an easy word to rhyme, and sometimes pop songs depend upon "the reason why" for the sake of a rhyme (homophone).

• Tom V

Okay. But "that" is no better than "why" when it comes to a word to follow "reason". You can just say "reason" and omit both "why" and "that".

there is no reason.

the reason why is because they want to tell you the reason