Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsMedia & Journalism · 5 months ago

As much as the British media went wild about the mathematician Alan Turing featuring on your £50 banknote, how many will actually hold one?

Isn't it said that the only people who actually own such notes are 'dodgy'. The years ago, it was said the note could eventually be phased out of circulation as the Bank of England Governor Mark Carney says there are no plans to produce a plastic version amid fears about financial crime, now the same man was all smiles introducing this new one.

*Three years ago.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

There seems to be a more quirky side to this, as he was chemically castrated and barred from working for GCHQ, and eventually driven to suicide for his sexuality. A certain Austrian, who ran a murderous political party next door (in Germany) would have loved that, had he been alive to see it. And now the scientist is on a £50 note - of which Mark Carney said would be no more...for its reputation rather than anything else.

And so - those who tend to use such notes - which will not be a great many of us - will not see the new ones 'until 2021'. And those who do will surely be the sort who would rather not 'pay what's due', make sure the Swiss bank will 'always be ready for business', or any other comical 'Only Fools and Horses'-lot who giggle at the taxman.

If there was any note that would be contaminated with cocaine and the like soon after entering circulation, this would surely be the one.

Poor Alan Turing...

They plan on mass producing it as toilet paper to sell back to Europe.

Alan is very trendy as he was gay in a time when we wasnt allowed to be. I dont think I have ever handled a £50 note.

• Alan is very trendy, not because he was gay, it is because he was a genius who saved millions of lives and virtually invented the modern world.

• Jack H

I have four 50 euro notes in my wallet at the minute, rarely have less than two in there, but, remember, cash still widely used in Italy, they don't like you using 200 euro notes though...

I very rarely use cash so it won't affect me if they phase them out.

I never trust them as there have been so many forgeries in the past,

and rarely use cash anyway for large amounts.

The £50 is a bit obsolete now as most use their cards when buying something that expensive. The people who might use them is people wanting to launder money.

• Ludwig

I have come across £100 notes. These are invariably owned by Scotchmen, working in the oil industry, or the criminal enterprises which are drawn to it.

• Ludwig

I know what i mean when I say Scotchman. Some freak who lays Scotch eggs and lives in a bus shelter. ya bas-

Don't get your knickers in a twist about it!

After Brexit you'll need a fistful of them to buy a loaf of bread - assuming that there's any bread left to buy when you reach the end of the queue! Still, your ration book will have a nice BLUE cover so it'll all be worth it!

• Killmouseky

Ludwig the Dim seems to have forgotten all about a wee thing called "inflation."

The only time I had any was when an employer paid cash years ago and when I borrowed money from a shop that did cash lending, that's it. My bank never gives me them and cash machines don't spit them out. They are a pain because cabbies won't take them and shops spend a long time examining them.

• gerald

The media when as that ever been real life, you are correct I was paid a couple of times that's all rarely have I seen them, a yuppy like Farage would brandish them in a wine bar back then, waste of time really