Anonymous

Do you think this was unprofessional of my doctor?

I went to an appointment to see my doctor, and he asked me if I had a job (since I recent graduated with my B.A. When I told him I got a job which is in my field of study he seemed to have a problem with it. This job is a part-time job so I was avidly applying for another job part time in my field. I successfully got an interview for the second job that same day after the appointment and he could have been more condescending about it. I had some problems in the past with anxiety and depression and he knew about that medical history and reevaluated me. I had explained that some of the cause was since I was consistently stressed throughout school and how I am less stressed since I am finished. I also said that striving to be the best in college being a competitive atmosphere can stress out a student. After I said that he cut me down and said to me don t go telling the people at the interviewer at the job how college was a competitive e

The appointment was a follow-up appointment.

He also told me that I don't have to lie on a job interview. I know how to conduct myself on an interview because I have been on countless ones for years. I have all the instructions that I've learned from career advisors and professionals. He made a back-handed comment. Hell, I got the job I am currently a part of, that should say something. He doesn't have to be a cocky jerk about and should mind his own business.

Favorite Answer

It's not really his business to be making judgements about your employment but he may have just been trying to be a good friendly doctor helping you on your way and you possibly are a bit paranoid. Anyway we can't really tell from this question if his tone of voice was inappropriate.

Most likely explanation he has an interest in young people and the jobs they get out of college and wanted to help you protect yourself from letting your anxiety and depression get in the way of your interview.

But yes doctors and lawyers can be cocky jerks sometimes because everyone has been telling them how wonderful they are for a long time. I stick with a certain doctor because he is never a cocky jerk and always caring.

• TheBellJar

But in a way that would be a compliment to you. He may have been saying he thought you were too good for the job but his views may not be realistic for modern times.

• Jay

And...he is correct.

Don't complain about the difficulty of college in a job interview or you will not get the job.

Wow. Is this how you're going to react every time someone tries to be nice to you? Yes, sometimes people give unneeded advice. But their intentions are good. Don't be such a jerk!

• Tavy

Get a grip, he was being caring, and advising you not to talk about stress at your interview.

You are overly sensitive.

No I do not think your doctor was being unprofessional. I think that he was giving you sound advice and that you are being overly sensitive. Telling an employer that you found the college environment to be too competitive and/or stressful could very easily make some question whether or not you have the fortitude to make it in the workplace.

You did not tell us what your doctor was treating you for that visit, but if it was related to your anxiety and depression then it is NOT unprofessional to ask questions about your anxiety and depression level, and the factor that could contribute to those. It would have been unprofessional had he NOT asked those kinds of questions.

His advise about not telling the interviewers that college was caused anxiety might be pushing the edge. But it sounds like it is actually someone who cares about his patients and wants to help them.

No, I do not think that asking about stress factors when you are being treated for stress is unprofessional