Why (NOT HOW) do we have hiccups? What if we didn't have them?

Yes, I know HOW they happen, but WHY? Is there a reason? Like, do they have a purpose? If we didn't hiccup, what would happen?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • NONAME
    Lv 7
    5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

its trying to clear your pathways as it thinks you are choking

• Mezzo Viola5 months agoReport

FINALLY AN ANSWER THAT DOESN'T TELL HOW BUT WHY!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU CAN ACTUALLY READ!!!!

• 5 months ago

I don’t have the source handy, but I’ve read that it’s a visage trait left over from our gilled ancestors; that the reflex pulled in water over the gills.

• 5 months ago

Google still works you know.

------------------------------

Hiccups are bursts of inspiratory (breathing in) activity. ... Most simple cases of hiccups come after eating or drinking too much or too quickly. The stomach, which is situated right below the diaphragm, becomes distended and irritates it. This will cause the diaphragm to contract, as it does when we breathe in.

Why Do We Hiccup? - Medical News Today

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/7623.php

• Mezzo Viola5 months agoReport

i tried googling. that's why i asked YOU KNOW. take your ignorance somewhere else

• tony
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

a hiccup is a reflex. It happens when a sudden contraction of your diaphragm causes the muscles of your chest and abdomen to shake. Then, the glottis, or the part of your throat where your vocal cords are located, closes. This creates the noise of air expelled from your lungs, or the “hic” sound that feels involuntary with hiccups.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Dixon
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

As far as I'm aware they serve no purpose, they are an accidental outcome, like a twitching eye or whatever.

Two suggestions on the Wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiccup#Evolutionary_...

• 5 months ago

hhcgh i just hiccupped and its crayy

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.