I'm sorry to ask this question, but does cow milk contain saliva?

Does the saliva that combines with the food a cow eats go into its milk? I'm afraid I already know the answer, but checking anyway.

• John

No. But the veggies and fruits do. Sweat too.

I'm sorry that you asked that too.

• MARK

If you went to a private school ask for a refund, especially for your biology lessons.

I would be interested to know how you think saliva makes its way from a cow's mouth, along its gastrointestinal (GI) tract, crosses the wall of the GI tract, enters capillaries and eventually reaches the cow's mammary glands where milk will be synthesised. Please do not bother sharing because it most certainly will have nothing to do with real and known biology.

• CRR

No more than it contains grass.

How does milk connect directly to a digestive system? It doesn't. Milk is produced by special glands, it has no direct link to the intestines.

Saliva is used to help digest plants and it goes to the stomach. Milk is produced by mammary glands. The two are totally unconnected. The only way you can get saliva in milk is if a calf drinks milk from its mother's udder, leaving some saliva on her udder, and then a farmer comes along and milks the cow. The saliva may then contaminate the milk. However, the calves are usually removed at a young age, and dairy cows are milked without the calves being suckled. So it would be unlikely that you will get any saliva in your milk.

• JimZ

That is udderly ridiculous. Some cows might have a bit of calf saliva but generally any milk in the stores will be "saliva" free and it is homogenized and pasteurized so it isn't really a problem. If you start to think about what sort of microscopic things are in you food, that is a bad road to go down. You just have to realize you are consuming a lot of things that won't hurt you.

To the same extent that milk contains grass.

As a dairy farmer, I can tell you truthfully the answer is nope!

• Mark

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20190...

SURE you're sorry, and I'm the Pope.