Dmitry asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 6 months ago

What's the avarage level of English for most people in the US?

I'm from Russian

Favorite Answer

Most people in the U.S. speak very good or native level English. In fact, roughly 80% of them are monolingual English speakers. To sum it up: they've been practising English all their lives, which means their skills are excellent when it comes to fluency and accuracy. This doesn't mean they're grammar or spelling experts: most of them likely aren't, because you need to go to school to learn how to write and the grammar rules. Language proficiency has nothing to do with accents or slang: it just means you're entirely comfortable in a language, to the point where you have no difficulty expressing all your thoughts and ideas in it.

• StarShine

Very good? Have you tried to actually speak to anyone in the US? "We was conversatin an **** and like um like this uh guy like he be comin at me like we was equalized an ****, like what da ****?"

All American children are entitled to 12 years of free public school education, which is paid for by property taxes to the government. The government runs the public school systems.

There is home schooling too.

Additionally, there are private schools in which the level of education can be better than the public school systems.

Some children resist being educated by any method, and therefore are uneducated in various levels.

But all American children have had the opportunity to be educated for many years.

The average level of English in America is good.

• Zirp

Wild guess: B2 according to the european framework thingy, for adults that is

Most of them speak average English. That's what average means comrade.

Very, very poor sadly.

most Russians speak poor English yet you as a Russian are questioning the English level for people in the US?

you're a eastern euro garbage snob

@dmitry, and do you know any eastern languages?? do you know any better other than being Russian?

I know some japanese, Korean, and speak a little arabic. I am also a native English speaker

don't be snobbish you euro trash Russian slavic garbage

if you think that knowing more than 1 language that is nothing more than something from Europe, that doesn't impress me at all

and no offense but you Russians I see in america are all rude and uncivil idiots. you should all go back to your sh.thole eastern Slavic country

@dmitry says the slavic trash from a sh.thole country?? Russia is poor and backward compared to america and most of Europe. FACT 

I'd say it's okay, but most people nowadays speak using slang and have many grammatical errors when writing. It could be better.

I am Jamaican and my English is not the best but you just need to focus mainly on speech. As long as your speech is good and understandable you have nothing to worry about. Of coarse you need to know how to write paragraphs in English. Good Luck!