Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 5 months ago

What language should I learn?

I want to learn a foreign language but don’t know what to pick. I am a novice at languages and therefore don’t want to study something excessively difficult. At the same time I want to learn a useful language that could help with employment or is widely spoken. I am a native English speaker.

And talented linguists have any tips or advice? I was thinking Spanish, Portuguese or Russian. Get the impression Russian would be very difficult though.

Favorite Answer

You should learn Chinese...it is the top spoken language in the world. I’ve taken French and Spanish which was easy but Chinese is next on my list.

• 5 months agoReport

Yeah I did French briefly at school, the accent is tough.

I do believe learning Portuguese would be very useful and entertaining. Portuguese is the 6th most spoken language in the world and Brazil is the most important country in South America. Give it a go!!!

Reasons;

!. It has to be useful to you.

2.You will have to fall in love with it and spend a lot of time learning it.

In Europe Russian,English,French and German are good choices.

In Canada Frech is a good choice,

In the U.S, Spanish would be.

That depends on where you live.

Europe : French or German

North-America : Spanish or French

South-America : Spanish or Portuguese

Africa : French

Oceania or Asia : Mandarin Chinese

• Zirp

Easiest and best to start with is Esperanto ( wikipedia Propaedeutic_value_of_esperanto ).

What kind of employment? Google "critical languages"

Besides English, French and Spanish are the two most common languages spoken worldwide. Or sign language is an option also.

• Zirp

there are some 200 different sign languages

• John

If you are American the most useful second language you can learn is Spanish. Depending on where you live that could be Chinese but that is 10x harder.

ASL is shockingly easy

• Jane5 months agoReport

American sign language. Theres very few grammar rules and they're all really intuitive. The signs are also very intuitive most of the time. Theres very little to worry about with pronouns, tenses, etc.

• angie

Spanish. I was surprised how helpful it was reading signs in Italy and also communicating with Portuguese speakers.