Can a big cat Tiger, Lion or Jaguar defeat the biggest dog?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

In a one on one fight? Absolutely no way in hell.

Cats have evolved better to fight - powerful front legs, sharp claws and bigger teeth. They are killing machines

• 5 months ago

Absolutely They kill Hyenas which are twice the size of large dogs

• but i have no doubts even the smallest species of jaguar or tiger can take down even the largest species of hyena easily .

• 5 months ago

No my dog is the most vicious she is like my special pokemon and i will be cheering her on as she destroys all enemies who dare try to get in her way

• John
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

What does size have to do with it?

You say big dog well the big dogs are male.

You didn't say "biggest big cat" which would be male also.

Male animals do not attack female animals.

So you built a dishonest senario so you can seek out the ignorant and ill informed.

What are you? A criminal out to rob them?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

dogs are teamwork hunters, work in gangs. Large cats are individual hunters. A cat will be able to handle a dog in most situations. Cats have very sharp claws and speed. Dogs are mostly just biters. they don't like putting their face into the zone of damage represented by the claws of a cat, which is what they would have to do to defeat the cat.

I don't think a cat would be able to kill a large dog very easily, but they can definitely fend that dog off successfully most of the time.

• Chae- Won5 months agoReport

There are NO 500-1000 pound dogs. They don't exist. You are right that some dogs work in packs. Tigers have an instinct to run if they need to. Again they no 1,000lb dogs. NONE!!! Zero, they do NOT exist. Even a 600lb dog. Show me ONE...

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

if you mean a big dog like a grizzly bear , then yes a grizzly bear can beat a lion , tiger or jaguars , if you mean a domestic dog then no , even a bobcat which is much smaller then any of the animals you stated would make short work of any domestic dog .

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Yes. Definitely. Cats have claws that can be used as weapons. Dogs have paws that are adapted to jogging, and they are not very good when used for fighting.

• 5 months ago

The lion will win every time. Just look at the weight differential. 120 lb dog versus 500 lb lion.

but Jaguars are in the 120-200 lb range, so there is a chance there for the dog, but not a good chance.

• Will
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I would actually say no. Molosser breeds such as the caucasian shepherd, tibetan mastiff, sarplaninac, and romanian carpathian shepherd were and still are used as guard dogs to protect livestock from natural predators. The caucasian shepherd in particular has been known to fight off bears. If it can fight off a creature capable of walking bipedal while using its arms to attack with, it can surely fight of a predator that is limited to quadrupedalism where it can only leap and grasp with its front legs like the dog can.

It would come down to whoever got the upper, but large powerful molosser breeds could take down large felids.

• Herfnerd
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

No way can any of those dogs defeat a large cat. Absolutely none

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Yep, easily.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.