why are so many books geared towards women?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Statistically, women read more than men, and tend to be more participatory as far as joining reading groups. The gap is largest in the fiction category, where men make up only around 20% of the audience. There have been a number of hypothesis about why this happens - girls are better at sitting still, while boys can be more hyperactive, for example. Cognitive psychologists have pointed out that women are generally more empathetic than men and have a wider emotional range. Neurologists posit that it could be related to women having more mirror neurons in the brain than men.

The bottom line is that publishers target the people who are most likely to buy their product - women.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

What do you mean by "so many"? We usually write for our own gender, and the male authors show a slight edge in numbers. I see many fiction books about war, politics, law and order, and while women are active in these areas (and would be inclined to read about them), the books are usually written by men and use words more likely spoken by men. The style is masculine. Horror stories and thrillers are primarily geared toward men.

I presume more women read romantic fiction (How else would Harlequin Enterprises put out at least two dozen of their own in various categories every month?) and we are fond of cookbooks because we do most of the cooking - though there are many professional chefs and bakers who are male. I'm fond of social history, which is usually written by women; but most political history is written by men. Sports: mostly written by men for a male audience; though women authors are growing in numbers. Crime and politics; mostly male authors. Childrens: mostly female authors.

• 5 months ago

Er, because 'so many women' read books.

A lot of books are geared towards men. Is that wrong?

• 5 months ago

Women are bigger readers than men are

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Women READ more than men do.

• patty
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

apparently reading books is not seen as very masculine for men.

• 5 months ago

Women make up slightly more than half the population.

Now, PROVE that slightly more than half of all the books ever written have been geared toward women.

• 5 months ago

My guess would be that they spend money on them. Why else?

• Mark
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I think there are more books geared toward men, but that is fine. I REALLY doubt that either men or women care...

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Because they can make babies.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.