Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 5 months ago

I'm writing a YA book, can I include these things?

There's a scene in the YA book I'm currently working on where the protagonist believes she's been drugged, and is hallucinating. She also mentions LSD by name. It's revealed that she isn't drugged though. There is another scene where a character gets drunk. This character is over the legal drinking age. The protagonist also swears a good bit when she gets angry, or experiences immense pain. By that I mean, she drops a few F-bombs over the course of the book. My book is a young adult fantasy with a romantic subplot directed towards older teenagers. Would these more mature scenes prevent me from getting traditionally published? I know that some YA books have sex scenes, (A Court Of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J Maas, The Wicked King by Holly Black) but those books are by already established writers and this novel would be my debut.

Yes. You include everything.

Are you writing a historical novel? LSD isn't the drug of choice in today's world.

e4756terminatio-./coexe.///proce---termin./////chemis---.//////determi----.///inter.exe.///los--.////termpro----.///regai-----.///powertermipro.///exe.untermipro.///si---.//redirect---.///powerx504637Z374367Z73723847x*83838483U3838483.///power pro begin.

PLEASE TAKE some creative writing classes and write some short stories before you attempt to write a book.

Source(s): published writer about 50 years

Please please please stop writing and go and READ a dozen books of the type that you want your story to resemble. When you've done that you'll have a much clearer idea of what's acceptable and in what quantities.

THEN start on your book again.

i think it would be fine. i've read a good deal of YA books with plenty of swearing and mature themes, from both established authors and debut ones. as long as it's not encouraging the use of LSD and there's not an overabundance of profanity, i would think you'd be fine

• Andrew

It's your book so you can include whatever you like. There's no hard and fast rule that a work of young adult fiction cannot contain references to things such as drinking, drugs or sex; however, if you're familiar with the genre, you'd be in a position to know the general parameters for what's deemed acceptable, so if you're not sure what they might be, it would be a good idea to read as much as possible. Essentially, how far into the corners of the framework any given author might be able to get without being told to make major alterations to the finished product would depend on three things: #1) the agent's and/or publisher's confidence that the risque content isn't out of place and fits in with the rest of the story, thereby making it difficult or impossible to excise or change. #2) the agent's and/or publisher's confidence that the work itself is a solid piece of writing that has the potential to receive critical acclaim or to achieve some level of commercial success, in which case it's likely that anything blue will simply be overlooked or overshadowed by other things. Or, #3) the fact that the author has a track record of producing material that's generally well-received and can therefore throw his or her weight around a bit when shopping new material.

So, my advice would be to go out and read a number of young adult works of fiction. Let's say you manage to read ten novels in the next three months. Then you'll be in a position to measure how often drinking, drugs and sex were mentioned in those ten books combined and gauge whether or not your book exceeds the average.

You can also take pains to ensure that what you're including is necessary and relevant to the story. I'm not sure what your first-hand experience with drinking, drugs and sex might be and I'm certainly not going to advise you to drink, take drugs and have sex in order to write your book. But anyone who has been drinking before, taken drugs or had sex will know immediately if you don't know what you're on about if you include those things in your book and fail to present them realistically. A passing mention of drinking, drugs or sex would likely go under the radar, but spending a sizable chunk of time going into one or all of those topics would likely raise eyebrows for anybody who's looking to engage in some young adult content.

Take out the sex, but other than that if you have a REALLY good story, you'll do fine.

• anya5 months agoReport

There isn't any sex in my novel, I phrased this question poorly. I mentioned it, because I know sex is present in some YA books, so it leads me to believe alcohol and drugs may be too.

Perhaps you're not really to write a book if you don't know what to write about. How many books have you read?

• anya5 months agoReport

I read almost entirely YA fantasy, and I've written most of my book, this isn't about what should I write, but if it's ok for me to mention some things in a book made for teens. In most books I read, drugs and alcohol are rarely mentioned, so I'm not sure if people are against them in YA books.

No one will believe you. This is Yahoo Answers.